Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes in my Basil and something is eating it

Posted by i_am_gray Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 13:43

I know there are other post about Basil plants being eaten but since most don't have pics and I can't tell what type of holes/bites people are talking about I put up this post.

Ok first off before I take some steps like un-root my basil to look for grubs (drastic?), which I think might be responsible for the deed I wanted to make sure.

My basil plant is planted outside in a container and there are no trees, or plants or any kind close to it. I live in the city so nothing that can live in the city. I've been checking the plant almost everyday during evenings and very early mornings to see signs of the usual, bugs (caterpillars and beetles) and so far I have yet to see ANYTHING. I've also checked under the leaves as much as possible.

Thankfully it is growing very well in my opinion so i don't really think that's the problem and the there obvious bites on the leaves.

I would be grateful if someone could tell me whats wrong so i can take the right measures. Also I've tried spraying the plant with diluted neem oil, diluted hydrogen peroxide, and used diatomaceous earth food grade, not at all the same time but so far nothing seems to help.

Here are some pics (hope they work):

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/castella_cake/IMG_0083.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/castella_cake/IMG_0084.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes in my Basil and something is eating it

It looks like it could be slug or snail damage. Check under the container and in any nooks and crannies around the sides. If you don't find them come out after dark and look. Also check for silvery trails on the leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here