Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chudapha

How to propagate Pandan plant

chudapha
18 years ago

I have a pandan plant which now has smaller ones growing around a big one. What should I do to separate them and grow in another pots?

Thanks,

-Chudapha

Comments (11)

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

Could you give the Latin name for this plant? I googled and came up with a couple of things, one being a Screw Pine...

• mosesong
    18 years ago

OMG! Chudapha, are you in the US? Where do you get this plant! I have been looking for it forever here in the USA!

I'm from Malaysia and I use to have lots of them at my backyard. For Pandan Leave, you need to let it grow until quite bushy before you can propegate them. It's propegate through cutting (http://www.anbg.gov.au/PROPGATE/propagat.htm). Just cut a stalk (not the leave, but the whole stalk at the base) and plant that stalk into the soil.

Let me know if you have success for it. Once you have done that, please let me know if you're willing to sell some talks to me. I have lots of recipes that call for it.

It requires warm climax like South East Asia (70 to 90) to grow.

Thanks!

From,
    Moses

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

Can either of you tell me what the latin name of this plant is? Sounds like something worth having!

• chudapha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello,

I believe the scientific name is Pandanus amaryllifolius.

To Moses,

I got the plant from Fl. from friends. I do not know where they get it from. I know one place that you can order the plant but it seems pricy. The web page that you get it mail order is www.thaiherb.com Once you are at this page, click on herbs under price lists.

Thanks,
    - Chudapha

• nygardener
    18 years ago

Chudapha - I believe you may mean www.thaiherbs.com.

Can one of you tell us more about this herb and its uses in cooking?

• chudapha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am sorry for the error. If you search google for "pandan recipe", you will find many pages about using the plant.

Thank you for catching the error.
    - Chudapha

• mosesong
    18 years ago

Thanks Chudapha, yes I just found out about thaiherb.com when stumble across some 2002 post in this forum. I have located another source in New Jersey and they're currently out of stock, but will have some in July. They are almost the same price. I'm still debate if I should get it since I'm living in an apartment. I know Pandan leave is best to plan in open space with lots of space to spread to make sure they can survive. You're planting yours in a pot right?

Heathen1, I'm not sure what's the latin name of the plant, but this page lot of different language for this plant: http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Pand_ama.html

nygardener,
    This plant is popular in South Easy Asia, especially around Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. It's mostly use for dessert:
    - make syrup
    - boil with sweet potato to make sweet soup
    - make "Kaya", an egg custard type spread for bread.

As for daily table use, tie one or two Pandan leave into a knot, put it into the rice and cook it in the rice cooker, you will end up with fragant rice.

One of my favorite Thai cuisine is to marinate chicken pieces with curry powder and some spice like cumin, all spice etc, then wrap each chicken piece with one pandan leave, then secure with a tooth pick. Deep fry the chicken pieces and you will end up with a very very fragent chicken that your neibour would wonder what kind of cuisin is it.

• chudapha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Moses,

Yes, I am planting the Pandan in a pot but it is outside of the house. It has to be brought inside during the cold winter time.

- Chudapha

• gopals1
    13 years ago

Hi guys,
    I just got my pandan plant and I've been looking around for some good info on how to keep pandan. From what I've read, pandan doesn't like the cold much. I found some good info on http://www.mypandan.com/pandan-care/

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.mypandan.com/pandan-care/

• smallfern
    12 years ago

gopals1,
    Where did you get your pandan plant from? I have been literally "hunting" for 1 as mine died 2 yrs ago from the extra long chill we had. I would really, really appreciate it if you can share that info. Thanks in advance.

fern

• BobiBob
    12 years ago

i believe they are talking abaout this one: pandanus amaryllifolius

Here is a link that might be useful: Pandanus amaryllifolius