Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herbs77

AHH Basil leaves browning, Stem peeling. Please Help a HerbNewbie

herbs77
15 years ago

My spicy globe basil has it's leaves browning and the stem is peeling. The sweet basil just is browning (the leaves) i need help identifying disease/pest/cause of this basil malady.

please post

thank you

Comments (10)

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Photos please! Browning can be caused by sprays that can harm leaves. Also, before turning brown, are they turning yellow? If so, too much water. 'Stems peeling' is unknown to me. Basil here thrives outdoors and loves plenty of sunlight.

• herbs77
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone else have this problem? I dont think its watering, although it has been raining quite a bit in my area. The leaves have not turned yellow. It starts off as a small brown spot, then it grows. Does it sound like any fungus? I researched and if it is a fungus (let us hope it is not) it could be fusarium, botrytis blight, or pachysandra leaf blight. Hopefully its not. I could be overreacting. Once again, I am inexperienced so I have no idea what this is.
    thank you
    please post

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Can you post a photo here??? Ignoring the simple request wouldn't help much. Get a free account at PHOTOBUCKET, and once you send a few digital photos to your account, they can be linked to here. A picture is worth a thousand words. I have never seen a basil stem peeling.. In another post, someone mentioned green flakes on leaves and once a photo was taken it soon changed the green flakes to aphids.. Neem is a mild insecticide as well as a fungicide which could help. Avoid getting leaves wet with any waterings. Also don't spray any foliar sprays (like fertilizers) on the leaves except a fungicide or insecticide. These must be organic in nature, so you don't get sick from eating the herbs. Give them a few weeks outside in the sun, as no plant will recover a day or two after its been disturbed. If the plants were started indoors and are now outside, they do need some weeks to get used to the new lighting and outside temps.

• herbs77
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I will try to post a photo soon. I purchased them from an indoor greenhouse.
    thanks
    please post

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Might be a fungal infection.. You can try a mild fungicide on the leaves to see if it stops the spreading. Spray the soil with a fungicide under it as well, just in case its splashing water up onto teh leaves. The link below might also help. They have a wettable powder as well as a liquid version. It is pricy, but a small bag makes up to 17 gallons of spray.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens Alive

• herbs77
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll try a fungicide. I probably cannot provide a picture because my digital camera is extremely low quality, or I just cannot make it function. If the problem persists then I shall have to find someone in my community who can help with the camera.
    thanks.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

herbs77, where are you located? Are these plants in the ground or in containers? How long ago were they purchased? Recently enough that you could call the seller and ask them about it?

• herbs77
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are in containers, purchased 2-3 weeks ago. Ummm if the problem appears again, I'll post a pic or call them.
    thanks

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

2 Weeks is hardly enough time for a plant to become accostomed to its new surroundings. My started from seeds, indoor plants, that were put out on May 30 are still in a transplant shock stage, so they just need plenty of water at first. Many times young plants are not exposed to direct sulight for long periods of time, so they also need a little 'hardening off'. Tomatoes and peppers are very suseptable. The leaves either go tan or brown due to sun scalled (sunburn), especially if they have water left on them and are exposed to hot sunlight all day. Before I transplant, I prefer to keep my plants ina small greehouse for a week or more, so they are not being shocked as much.

• tdtom
    14 years ago

My basil leaves look like this http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/189580/IMG_0127.JPG

Any suggestions. Is this just over watering? If it is, how do I fix it?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company