Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fert1

Can you root basil

fert1
17 years ago

Can you root basil? The reason I ask is that I got poor germination rates on some the basil varieties I planted. I just wondered if I could take rootings from the few that did grow to propogate more. would that work at all?

Comments (11)

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

Yes, it's very easy. Just take cuttings, either tip cuttings or heel cuttings (which I find the best), dip the cut ends in honey, stick them into the dirt, and stand back and watch them grow. Easy as pie.

Some months back we had a terrific storm which tore my favourite basil to pieces, broke off large branches. I just stuck a few of the broken bits in the ground (no trimming, no honey, and some quite large), and now my son has a nice row of basil in his garden!

• fert1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! I will try it then. What does the honey do?

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

Honey is antibacterial, and it acts in the same way as a rooting hormone gel or powder. Protects the cut end of the stem, and encourages root formation. With basil, it isn't really needed, but might hurry things along a bit.

• nygardener
    17 years ago

I like the sound of this Greek Columnar Basil, Steve. Do you know if it has another name?

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

Will root pretty fast in water too, but it should be planted as soon as it has no more than 1.5 inches of root so the roots are not all 'water-roots'.
    I've also had great luck taking cuttings and rooting in straight moistened perlite within 7 days. Each cutting had just 1 set of leaves (basically tip cuttings)...in my opinion he smaller the cutting the easier; less evaporation from the leaves while rooting.

Vera

• takadi
    15 years ago

Ahh, I am having horrible success with the basil in tap water technique. It's been about two weeks and so far three cuttings have totally died, and I had to repeatedly snip off the ends of some that were rotting and eventually throw a couple away since they were getting too short. One of them did bust out with loads of roots, but then all of a sudden the root cluster just turned brown and mushy and I had to cut off the end again.

I'm taking two more different approaches now, one cutting with straight perlite, another cutting in the normal water, and another two of those in plastic clear bags. I'm gonna see what happens, but I'm honestly surprised at how difficult this is

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Water may have chlorine or too much iron or be very hard with minerals. I have been successful in rooting some basil stems by just planting in muddy soil in a pot. Same with some branches broken off tomato plants. Growing basil from seeds is more reliable.

• takadi
    15 years ago

Oh my god, the bag method worked like a miracle. It's only been two days and it has grown a quarter inch of roots!

• spicydeedee
    14 years ago

Interesting - please describe exactly how you use the "BAG METHOD" as I would love to try it - Thanks!

• takadi
    14 years ago

Well it's pretty much like making a mini green-house. I stick the basil cuttings in water then stick a plastic bag over it and secure it with a rubber band...then leave it in a place with bright indirect light (indirect light is important). Warmth and humidity seem to be the most important in rooting, and I was having a difficult time since I was doing this in early February when the air was still dry