Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ania_ca

Parsley and Garlic chive questions

ania_ca
14 years ago

I planted some parsley recently in a partly sunny area and it is doing well. My question is, how to you properly harvest it to keep the plant going? Do you take the outer stems and leaves?

Also, I planted garlic chives and they are just not germinating. I direct seeded them outside in a pot. It has been in the 70's here lately with a couple of warmer days just recently. It's the only thing I've planted that hasn't germinated. Chives and onions did fine. Anyone have germination problems with garlic chives or did I get some bad seeds? Should I try to start them inside? I planted summer savory at the same time in the same type of pot and already have tons of sprouts.

Ania

Comments (10)

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Garlic chives tend to be very slow in germinating, even longer than asparagus seeds. They like to grow in clumps and a pot is OK, but your better off planting directly outside. They will not mature enough the first year to offer any harvest, but should be bigger the next year. If the seeds are old, the may not be viable. Mine flowers and then producs small black seeds that drop nearby, and make the clump larger.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

With the garlic chives, keep the pot heavily watered & in direct sun. My new set this year germinated in less than a week like this.

• francescod
    14 years ago

Parsley-The plant will keep going without you doing anything, provided this is its first year of life. It is biennial and flowers, goes to seed and dies the second year. You can harvest parsley by either removing single leaves or by cutting the entire plant or sections of the plant depending on how much you need. The plant will continue to grow either way.

Chives-Garlic chives do take a while to germinate, as little as 7 days or up to two weeks depending on the conditions. All plants don't germinate at the same rate so don't be alarmed that the other seeds germinated before the garlic chives. I easily get harvestable plants the first year. They can be trimmed and used when the plant is about 5 or 6 inches tall. Next year the garlic chives will have wide flat leaves instead of thin round leaves like the first year.

-F. DeBaggio

• ania_ca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

On the garlic chives, it's been over 2 weeks and nothing. They are well watered and in full sun. I'm going to try some of the seeds inside and see if that works. I hope the vendor didn't send me old seeds.

Ania

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Don't overwater the chive seeds. If they are older than a year, they may not be viable. Always use a sterile seed starting mix, and the application of heat under the pot can help to get them to germinate. My asparagus started from seeds takes about 5 weeks to show up a tiny spear sprout.

• ania_ca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, one chive came up yesterday, so maybe the rest will come up soon. The seeds were just purchased so I hope they are viable. I wanted to try more but the envelope the seeds were in got knocked down and I can't find the Garlic Chives seed packet now. The dogs are always underfoot and I suspect one of them grabbed it and took off with it before all the packets were picked up. I expecting to find it chewed up in a corner of the yard one day. I will have to buy more seeds.

Ania

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

My next door neighbors dog likes to get into her pocketbook or the dads wallet. In there back yard where the dogs do their business, they found fragments of $10 and $20 bills among the dog droppings!! TRUE STORY!!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Does it make the plant grow better with a $20 or a $10? ;-)

• ania_ca
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"My next door neighbors dog likes to get into her pocketbook or the dads wallet. In there back yard where the dogs do their business, they found fragments of $10 and $20 bills among the dog droppings!! TRUE STORY!!"

At least my seeds were only $1. Sheesh! I'll be on the lookout for poop with a seed packet in it or garlic chives growing out of one of their butts..LOL.

Ania

• aisha24
    14 years ago

Hi all .. I live in Egypt Africa.. I have planted out chives from seed 7 days ago and was just about to give up looking for signs of life whan today i found 6 tiny sprouting things.. hope they are chives. anyway they sit on my balcony in a large pot and I spray them every few hours as its in the high 90's here every day.. they get about 4 hours direct sun.
    I hope they survive .. all my other herbs are doing well except for the Rosemary that is being very slow to germinate.
    I have Lemon grass, chives, rosemary and lavender all from seed.
    I will up date you as to whats happenning with the chives...really good site by the way.