Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentishman

Basil wilting and dying

kentishman
12 years ago

I've grown basil each year for several years and overall have been successful. I usually grow upwards of a dozen plants. Each year I lose a few plants: the plants wilt and then die. I read previous postings on this site and found the following:

"Bacterial wilt is caused by different bacteria including Verticilium and Fusarium. It's a common problem in soils of warm, humid areas such as Florida, Hawaii, & other Southern USA states. It has even recently made it as far as NC, thanks partly to global warming and spread of infected basil seeds."

Does this sound like my problem? I plant in a row, and only a few plants are affected at random places in the row. I put in 14 plants this year, and they have begun making good growth and are about 1 ft tall. One plant began showing signs of wilt about 5 days ago and it was dead yesterday.

I'd welcome any comments whether this sounds like bacterial wilt or if there are any other likely causes for the problem.

Thanks, Tom

Comments (3)

• KMKacan
    12 years ago

I would love to know the answer. I am having a similar problem with my basil. Here is a picture. Some leaves are turning brown and the plant looks like its wilting.

Happy Gardening,
    -Kristina K.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Farm Wife

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Basil also likes outdoor rather than indoor conditions. I'm guessing from the look of it that this is an indoor plant?

FataMorgana

• kentishman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. It does appear that it's wilt. However, I can't bring myself to pull up all the plants. I'll take the risk of leaving the basil in the ground, even though it's close to my 30 heirloom tomatoes and 40 hot chile peppers. I've had the same problem with basil every year and haven't had a total wipeout, so I'll take my chances.

Tom