Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basil wilting and dying

Posted by kentishman Zone 7 SC (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 14:13

I've grown basil each year for several years and overall have been successful. I usually grow upwards of a dozen plants. Each year I lose a few plants: the plants wilt and then die. I read previous postings on this site and found the following:

"Bacterial wilt is caused by different bacteria including Verticilium and Fusarium. It's a common problem in soils of warm, humid areas such as Florida, Hawaii, & other Southern USA states. It has even recently made it as far as NC, thanks partly to global warming and spread of infected basil seeds."

Does this sound like my problem? I plant in a row, and only a few plants are affected at random places in the row. I put in 14 plants this year, and they have begun making good growth and are about 1 ft tall. One plant began showing signs of wilt about 5 days ago and it was dead yesterday.

I'd welcome any comments whether this sounds like bacterial wilt or if there are any other likely causes for the problem.

Thanks, Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basil wilting and dying

I would love to know the answer. I am having a similar problem with my basil. Here is a picture. Some leaves are turning brown and the plant looks like its wilting.

Photobucket

Happy Gardening,
-Kristina K.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Farm Wife

o

Basil also likes outdoor rather than indoor conditions. I'm guessing from the look of it that this is an indoor plant?

FataMorgana

o

Thanks everyone. It does appear that it's wilt. However, I can't bring myself to pull up all the plants. I'll take the risk of leaving the basil in the ground, even though it's close to my 30 heirloom tomatoes and 40 hot chile peppers. I've had the same problem with basil every year and haven't had a total wipeout, so I'll take my chances.

Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here