Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this bug and could it be eating my basil?

Posted by celiaanne PA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 14:19

Hello

I have a window box with basil and parsley. The parsley is fine, but something is eating my basil. This happened last year and I tried everything I could think of, including Captain Jack's solution. Nothing worked. Some pictures of my basil are attached.

I have had the bugs shown on the attached pictures for quite a few years (on my porch), but I don't know what they are. Just wondering if anyone can identify them for me. Maybe they are the basil culprits.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bugs and Basil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this bug and could it be eating my basil?

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 16:26

Some type of earwig? Don't know if they affect basil.
hortster

o

Thanks, hortster. I'll google earwig and see.

There are just so many of them and they hang out under the window boxes.

Anyone else know what they might be for sure??

Thanks.

o

Yep, if the earwig population is high, they will one hundred percent damage tender plants.

They thrive in locations that are rich in organic matter (peat, mulch, leaf litter, etc.) and moist. Do something to change the environment and you may not be troubled so much by the earwigs.

You can also keep some food grade diatomaceous earth sprinkled on the surface of the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here