Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hubbardii

Lavender won't bloom

hubbardii
17 years ago

I have a lavender that I planted last fall in a 10 gallon terra cotta pot. It's grown quite a bit this spring but it will not bloom. I water it every other day, and I feed it with Hasta Gro every 2 or 3 weeks. Any suggestions?

Comments (14)

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Okay.... probably stop watering it so much and don't feed it either... lavender is a mediterranean plant that likes it on the dryer side.... so either give it great drainage or don't water so much. PLUS, it likes the soil a little lean... yer probably near killing it with over love.

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

Ditto Heathen. Make life a lot more difficult for it, make it work harder. Not only is it more likely to bloom, but it'll smell better. Oh, and if it's only young, give it time. Lavender often doesn't flower until about its third year or later.

• hubbardii
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! I'll kill the fertalizer. Even rosemary will wilt under the central Texas sun. How often should I water it? Is once a week too much?

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Watering on a schedule is really not good for plants... I'd stick my finger in the soil, and if it is dry 2" down, then it can be watered. These plants can take serious 110º heat and when it's that hot, then I'd water more.

• meaghanshea_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Dear heathen, thank for you the tips. I'm going to try and be patient with my new baby lavender plants as they have not yet bloomed. It was very helpful to find this conversation when I googled. Thank you for sharing you green thumb knowledge.

• jsacdalan
    8 years ago

Hey, All. I'm attempting to grow Lavender here in Michigan (Cold Lvl 6) in wooden planters. They haven't blossomed yet, wondering what to do in Late Fall and winter? Any ideas would be appreciated.

• fatamorgana2121
    8 years ago

How old are the plants? Perennials don't bloom when they are very young.

FataMorgana

• jsacdalan
    8 years ago

Thanks Fata, I actually just learned that. I wish I knew that in early spring. Lol. In any case, what do you think I should do during Fall and winter? Will they be O.K., if left out in a zone 6 area? Your reply is very much appreciated.

• jsacdalan
    8 years ago

Also, I really have no idea to the exact age of the plants, but they vary from 4" to 7" tall.

• subtropix
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You are lovin' your lavender to death. I know it goes against your kindly intents, but lavender does BEST with some tough love. They want sharp drainage, soil a bit alkaline and of low fertility (no fertilizer), full sun/daylong and a fairly dry atmosphere (good luck with the last one in the East), and thrive under drought conditions, once established (within reason). Having said that, I see you are growing it in a terra-cotta planter (grow mine in the ground). I wonder if that pot is baking in the sun (the plant loves sun and heat; but the roots may be baking in a container under the hot Texas sun. Good luck!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

4 - 7 inches is still a tiny baby so it is quite normal, indeed desirable, that they are not trying to flower. Can't speak to whether a wooden planter would freeze solid in Michigan but I suspect so.

• jsacdalan
    8 years ago

Thank you, Floral, for your insight. So, would you recommend bringing Lavender indoors during the winter to avoid freezing solid? Does Lavender need a seasonal cold to continue growing?

• bardamu_gw
    8 years ago

Lavender needs sun to be healthy, and given their full size, you usually see them outside. Some lavender varieties are more cold hardy than others, as the Web search will reveal.

My lavender during winter is in shades, such as beneath the snow. It is the cold temperature that enables them to tolerate lack of sun (indoor temp and no sun will not do).

I live in zone 6. I keep some lavender in well draining containers, albeit sheltered from wind by the house, and most live through the freezing cold season. Others live in the ground, where their roots enjoy more stability.

A lavender from seed is not likely to flower for a while, though some varieties advertise they do on the first year. Cuttings are more likely to flower the first year. Either way it does not matter since a three year old lavender is much bigger than a first year, and will have many more blooms.