Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
narual

Overflowing with herbs

narual
13 years ago

Hi there!

I bought a house about a year ago, and the prior owners hadn't lived in it since the year before that, so the garden was weedy and overgrown when I moved in. I wasn't sure what plants were intentional and what plants were weeds, aside from a large quantity of strawberry plants and herbs. I wasn't 100% sure what all the herbs were until recently, when I finally got around to taking some samples in to our local Farmer's Market where someone identified them. I have a large (maybe 15-20 square foot) mound of marjoram, a smaller one of sage, and a wide carpet (probably 12-18 square feet) of thyme. There's also a strip of lavender about 18 inches wide by 30-40 feet long, but that's along the driveway, not part of the garden.

It's all overgrown and spreading. There's no way on earth I could ever use this much of any of them. I'm wondering if there's a good way to shrink it down and contain it. Can I dig some of it up and throw it in some pots for friends and family? Can I sink some boards or something into the ground around it to keep it from spreading? I was sort of thinking of boxing in the side of the garden where the herbs are at currently, trying to cut them back a bit and plant other herbs as well, and extend the garden out to about twice its current size, with the herbs going down the center.

I'm just sort of hoping for some ideas/thoughts/suggestions on what I can do both to use the large crop of herbs I have now and for reducing the future crop, preferably without wasting too much potential benefit (like, I'd rather give it away than throw it onto the compost heap)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. :)

-JC

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH