Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't figure out what's eating basil?!

Posted by futureveg 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 2, 09 at 15:03

Hi everyone, I'm basically new to gardening and plants. Recently decided to try and grow some herbs for culinary use.

Anyway, I have 2 sweet basils and 1 lettuce lettuce leaf basil that are both being slowly eaten by something.

The plants are primarily indoor, but I have taken them out on the porch occasionally for about 3-4 hour periods.

The soil is 1:1 ratio of potting soil and perlite with some sphagnum moss mixed in. Fertilized once with Garden Club organic all purpose plant food.

I tried spraying them with garlic spray, which had no effect on whatever is eating it. I don't know what I should do next.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't figure out what's eating basil?!

Is it possible that it's a cat? Or a rabbit or some other type of fluffy critter? I realize that sounds silly, because I'm sure you would have noticed if there were animals near your plants. But my cats like to sample my herbs every now and then and this is similar to the bites that they make so I just thought I'd throw that out there.

o

Not much damage right now, I wouldn't worry. Yes, it could be from domestic animals. Right now, I see gypsy moth caterpillers here and will have to start putting out some traps soon. The oak trees around here seem to get major infestations about every 5-7 years. Every single one I see I sqush. I just hope that my garden vegetable plants don't become infested. If so, the Bt would help some, but I would probably try Neem first, if it has control over them. I will wait and see

o

Something is eating mine, too. Just the Sweet Basil. None of my other herbs are even being touched. What's up with that?!? I sincerely doubt it's the cats, they don't go into the herb garden much, but I haven't seen any bugs, either. I don't want to put anything on it, so I'm going to unpot some marigolds out of one of my planters and plant around the basil to see if that helps any.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here