Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated Basil

Posted by ania_ca 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 15:13

Does anyone have any information on this variety and/or know where to get seeds?

I found this very interesting basil plant at my local nursery yesterday and bought one. The leaves are green and beige and it has a lovely basil smell. I'd love to get some seeds and start some of my own but can't seem to locate any. It makes a beautiful container plant, especially alongside my purple ruffle basil.

Ania

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated Basil

Some of the variegated basil cultivars are sports. This means that they can only be reproduced by vegetative means (cuttings). Did your plant have a patent number on the label? Or a label with a name?

o

That would explain why I can't find seeds :)

The label said Pesto Perpetuo. I don't remember if there was a patent number. I will have to look when I get home.

I guess I may have to learn to reproduce plants via cuttings. I'm pretty new at this.

Ania

o

Many types- Basil, Ararat Basil, Bush Basil, Greek Bush
Basil, Spicy Globe Basil, Stella Basil, Green Globe
Basil, Pistou Basil, Indian Basil, Dark Opal
Basil, Osmin Basil, Rubin Basil, Purple Delight
Basil, Purple Ruffles Basil, Marseilles Basil, Medinette
Basil, Napoletano Basil, Sweet Basil, Sweet Salad
Basil, Genovese Basil, Compatto FT Basil, Gecofure
Basil, Nufar F1 Basil, Envigor Basil, Superbo
Basil, Magical Michael Basil, Anise Basil, Cinnamon
Basil, Lemon Basil, Mrs. Burns Lemon Basil, Sweet Dani Lemon
Basil, Lime Basil, Green Sacred Basil, Purple Sacred
Basil, Oriental Breeze Basil, Spice Basil, Blue Spice
Basil, Thai Basil, Queenette Thai Basil, Siam Queen Thai
Basil, Wild

Here is a link that might be useful: Basil seeds from Richters

o

ania, your Pesto Perpetuo is, indeed, a sport discovered in a Connecticut nursery in 2004. It can only be reproduced by vegetative cuttings....and as a matter of fact, is described as 'non-blooming' in the patent characteristics. As a sport (or mutation), it would not breed true to form even if it did bear seeds.

You can take cuttings for your own use, but don't haul a big load of them to the farmer's market while it's still under patent, lol.

It sure is a pretty basil! I'm going to have to find a plant or two, myself.

o
RE: Variegated Basil2

P.S. I consider basil as easy to propagate from cuttings without much fuss. Let me know if you want some help. I'll walk you through the 'Dorie-ized' version, meaning s-i-m-p-l-e! Mind you, many gardeners have their own tried and true methods.

o

Thank you for the information about my variegated basil. That's very interesting, especially that it is non-blooming.

Yes, I'd love to learn to propagate it from cuttings. Thank you!

Ania

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here