Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
young basil plant

Posted by martinsims none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 15:38

Does anyone know what is wrong with my basil? Not sure if is it any pests or disease... thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: young basil plant

It may be that they're just too close in there--it does need more space. I usually do single stems at 6"ish and double/triple at 10-12" spacing depending on where they're at.

The spotting looks more like a sunburn to me. What's the varietal out of curiosity?

o

Thanks for reply. Variety is Bush Basil. I know that they would be better off with more space but think they should grow ok like this too. Dont think that leaves damage is from sun. We had sunny weather for last couple weeks but not very strong. I live in UK, not much sun in here. Now is more wet weather and it seem to get worse. Thinking it might be too much water what makes them leaves brown. Will post more close up pics later. Any ideas please share. Thanks

o

Thin them out. Too many plants too close together.

o

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 9:26

I've grown the Greek Bush Basil and IIRC it spread about 10" so I, too, would thin these.

jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here