Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting Thyme, Sage, and Oregano for a newbie

Posted by kentstar 5b, NE Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 16:59

This is my first time trying to grow Thyme, Sage, and Oregano (any herbs at all except Basil!). I've read that you shouldn't harvest Sage the first year, but do it the second year? Is this true?

How do I harvest them at all? When do I harvest? Sorry, I am so new to this! :) Any help is appreciated! I have them all in pots on my deck for now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting Thyme, Sage, and Oregano for a newbie

When your plants are growing vigorously, and getting rather bushy, it will be easy to see where a bit of thinning and pruning would not hurt. If you collect just enough for the current meal, you should do no harm.

Try to thin the plants out enough that they do not self-shade and cause wastage by shading out their own leaves. If stalks are getting long and spindly, shorten them and keep the trimmings for your own pleasure.

Just don't trim off for use what grew in the nursery, as it may have spray treatments on it. Also, most here say not to harvest more than a third of a plant at any one time.

Sage does tend to grow rather slowly at first, but if you have a vigorous plant you could probably get away with stealing a few leaves from time to time. Plants that receive optimal growth conditions will be least harmed.

o

Thanks eibren! I actually started these from seed this spring. I will try to take only what is needed this year for meals and such.

o

I generally let first year perennials go unclipped. Second year, I lightly harvest if the plant can support it. Third year I usually harvest as I would a mature plant of that type. I try to make sure the plant has a chance to establish itself because I want to be harvesting from for years.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here