Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basil trouble

Posted by andrewz5a Maine (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 17:24

I'm having trouble with some basil I transplanted two weeks ago, and I wonder if anyone has any ideas about what could be wrong.

The plants were transplanted from apparently healthy seedlings. Since then, they have gotten plenty of water and sunlight, and other things in the garden are doing pretty well. But the basil has grown only a little since then, the stalks are bent a few inches above the ground, the leaves are yellowing to pale green with coppery patches, and the plants are just starting to flower. A week ago I gave them a foliar spray of 3-2-2, but it hasn't had any effect that I can tell.

I know that the soil has somewhat too much potassium, too little magnesium, and possibly too little calcium too. Also, I may have damaged the roots during transplanting. Finally, FWIW, the basil is planted between sunflowers (still tiny, so no shade issue) and broccoli.

I've just been looking at lists of nutrient deficiency/excess symptoms but haven't found anything very specific. Does anyone know if the symptom list is specific to any of the factors I mentioned? Any other ideas on cause and what to do about it?

Many thanks,
Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basil trouble

I don't think the issue is what you've planted it with.

Were the roots compacted? Did you spread them out a bit before planting? My only guess is that it's not getting enough water, possibly because of being rootbound.

I think if you over-fertilized you'd see burn marks on the leaves without the paling first. Generally though, herbs like to live in horrible soil.

o
RE: Basil trouble

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 1:53

What have the prevailing temperatures been? Basil needs consistent warmth, day & night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here