Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lee_az

Help with basil

Lee_AZ
10 years ago

I live in Arizona where the summers are HOT HOT HOT!. I mean, 110-120 is the norm in the summer months.

I have been trying to grow basil in planters for the past few months and nothing I do seems to work. Within a few weeks, the plants are shriveled and dead. We've tried putting them in full sun, but the sun destroyed them; and we've tried putting them on our covered patio so they get the heat but not necessarily the sun but then they shrivel and the leaves turn black. Unfortunately, I do not have a place in my house where I could put them either.

We're trying again and we want to figure out what we're doing wrong. I bought 3 healthy sweet basil from my local nursery and will be transplanting them today. We did put them outside in the full sun earlier for about an hour but then some of the leaves started turning black so we brought them back inside.

If you have any ideas/suggestions/tips, it would be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you.

Comments (6)

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

Anything transplanting from a nursery needs a good 'hardening off' period. Normally thought of for seedlings that have been inside, I would bet that you're just sunburning your basils by putting them in full sun so quickly after being in a greenhouse situation. If you have a shade area to set them in starting for just a couple hours a day, extending each day for about 10 days, that might help them acclimate to your sun. After a few days of out in shade, you could try short periods of sun. I'm in Denver, so not as hot, but very intense higher elevation sun.

How big of planters are you using? They're a bit of investment to start with, but I have really good luck with 8 basil plants in an EarthBox planter that has a built in water reservoir. Put it on wheels, and you can roll it around.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I'm wondering about the potting mix you're using. A lot of factors contribute to the success or failure of a container plant.....all the more important because of the hostile conditions.

• Lee_AZ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm using an organic potting mix and I'm currently registering a pH in the soil of 7.

I had another question: I keep reading about making sure not to water the leaves. Why is that?

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

There are a couple things that can happen with watering the leaves, and it certainly doesn't mean that if they get a little drip, then the plant will have problems. First, if watered during the day when it is very sunny, the water can magnify the sun and burn the leaves. Second, if watered at night when it's cool, the water can encourage disease. Also, if you're using a liquid fert, it can burn tender basil leaves too, but basil doesn't really need fert if the soil is fine.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Let me just say off hand that IMO, no plant likes 100, 120F temperatures combined with full sun shine. May be there are some desert plants that might not mind it but even those prefer a little cooler temps.

BACK TO BASIL: it is describe as HEAT LOVING plant but I don't think they will grow in the oven : LOL

So then growing basil in your climate is quite a challenge. I I were to tackle that , I would do the following:

Plant it I a fairly bigger pot , soiless medium,, with extra pearlite. to maintain moisture longer. BIGGER pot for better insulation of the roots and moisture retention.

put the pot on a coaster, so that it can be moved around.

Get a variety that can stand heat better. Just my thinking, a Thai basil should be more heat tolerant than the American Sweet basil.

Water regularly., may be once a day.

fertilize regularly. I would us 1/5th strength ferigation every other day. (fertigation = watering + fertilizing at the same time)

All in all, in hot temps, as you have mentioned, your basil can get by a few hours of morning sun, when it has cooled off a bit during the night.

• Lee_AZ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for all your information.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations