Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herb Underplanting for Potted Fruit Trees/Bushes/Vines

Posted by lawanddisorder 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 17:59

I have about 25 potted fruit trees/bushes/vines and was wondering if you guys thought it would be wise, and not harmful to the plants, to underplant taller fruit trees/vines/bushes with herbs?

I'd be underplanting apples, peaches, pears, necarines, plums, figs, grapes, kiwi vines, apricots, mullberry, and maybe a few berry bushes, too.

My first thought was strawberries, but that would attract even more squirrels which are already very problematic.

Maybe having two competing plants in one pot is a bad idea all together?

What do you all think?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herb Underplanting for Potted Fruit Trees/Bushes/Vines

You didn't say what type of herbs you're interested in. Or how big the pots are. Most of the main herbs that people think of require full sun, and are not as suitable for underplanting in that way. Some also require very good drainage and not very good soil, where I would guess that most of the trees need a pretty healthy soil.

I prefer to keep my herb pots dedicated to a single type. Out of about 2 dozen, I only have one that has two different, and they're the same in their requirements (soil, water, light, etc). You would need to research the herbs you're interested in and compare that to what you already have potted.

I volunteer at the Botanic Gardens here, where they have an orangery with many potted trees. Sometimes for display, they put smaller pots in the larger pot, generally with a pretty trailing plant (I have seen rosemary as such) that gives the illusion that they're planted together. Might be something to think of if it's the look you're after.

o

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 9:07

You may want to ask about underplanting in the permaculture forum. While they do not focus on herbs, they are great promoters of the idea of establishing plant guilds,groups of plants that grow well together and provide beneficial support to each other.

jan

o

Thanks, Jan. Will do.

o

Years ago when I had container blueberries on the deck, the blueberries on the plant nearest the herb containers, took on one of the herbs taste. I grew rosemary, sage, oregano, & basil, but I can't remember which one's scent got on the berries. Something to consider.

I often put million bells around taller pepper plants. If the competition stunts one or the other plant, I haven't noticed.

o

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 9:23

Sorry I sent you to permaculture for nothing, LaD. I see they weren't at all helpful. But Sunset magazine is showing an herbal underplanting in a very structured in ground fruit tree garden and it looks wonderful.

jan

o

I use lemon thyme when I do that. It bushes nicely and isn't too competitive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here