Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

basil's water and nutrition needs

tetrazzini
9 years ago

I'm reading conflicting information about the water and nutrition needs of basil grown IN CONTAINERS. (I grew it for years in the vegetable garden and it thrived, until it started getting downy mildew.) I want to grow lots of sweet or Genovese for pesto making.

Has anyone had success growing it in terracotta pots?

Does it like soil that's dry or moist? Does it need to be fed, or not fed at all? I'm going to try Al's 5-1-1 mix for good drainage, but I'm wondering how much to water it.

I'm going to use one plant per 3 gallon pot, unless you think that's not big enough to grow big plants. I was going to use half whiskey barrels until I realized good air circulation is important to avoid the mildew.

Thanks herb lovers!

Comments (6)

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

Basil, especially in containers does need to be kept moist. I feed mine a light organic granular (not time release) upon planting, but then generally do not feed again. If you force your basil to grow more leaves with a high nitrogen fert, you can dilute their flavor. Pinching to encourage bushing and continual harvest is the best way to encourage more basil.

I have not used terra cotta, but imagine it would be fine-you'll just have to water more. I put 8 in an earthbox (works very well for basil) or have used a 10-12" pot. I generally do 2-3 stems basil together, watching for issues-at which point I can just completely harvest one or two, but I've rarely had to do that.

On a side note, if you try some purple basil, Gardeners Supply Co has a purple pesto recipe with sun dried tomatoes that is really good somewhere on their website.

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've read that too much nitrogen affects the flavor. What's an example of a light organic granular fertilizer?

Purple basil is more resistant to downy mildew. I should try it. We're pesto fanatics in my family, so it'll be weird having it a different way. But you have to be flexible in life....

Thanks.

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

I look for the N to be only a 3 or 4, with the other numbers below 5. Since I generally only feed seedling basils, I haven't had issues with P numbers up to 5. Personally, I've been happiest with Happy Frog, Espoma, and Age Old Organics brands. The only kind I haven't liked at all was a small jar that I think was called Herb Food and was majorly infested with maggots. Can't remember the brand of that one.

I was hesitant at first, but have come to love my purple basils. They can be stronger anise, but are a nice contrast. Here, they tend to revert at times, but are still fun. Being so dry here, I can't really relate to the mildew issue, so can't tell you if they are better.

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ohh, you're so lucky! Basil downy mildew is a relatively new disease, it just started maybe ten years ago. It's only been in the US a few years. Maybe you won't have to worry about it. Basil's been my favorite crop for 32 years. It's hard to accept that I might not be able to grow it anymore. But maybe the containers will work.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

I'm also in NY and have not had the downy mildew problem...though terribly damp and humid right now but my garden is open and windy.
    We are lucky to have so much spring rain, but can also cause other wet issues if it doesn't get a chance to dry out...
    Pots work fine but need sun and lots of air circulation. If you can cluster a few pot together and keep the basil pot base out of direct sun by surrounding with others, it may not suffer so much or when watering, water the soil slowly and lots of water to saturate the soil rather than smaller amounts every day...not watering the leaves, just the soil.
    If nervous about mildew, use baking soda...one tbsp in a qrt of water, shake and spritz the soil when the weather is stagnant and damp...that early morning fog we often get.

I use a baking soda spritz when starting my seeds in my damp basement even though i have a dehumidifier to help the issue...and also run a small fan 24/7.

I grow all the available varieties in a raised bed with added sand and a mock gritty mix.
    I do plant closer than recommended, about 4" spacing to form a weed free carpet and harvest the top growth every weekend to keep it small and lush all summer.
    Purple ruffles and opal don't have the flavor i like for a pesto. The leaves are a bit leathery and lack the fresh flavor of the softer leaf varieties where i am. Maybe just my growing conditions...i use those for salad additions. And the color grinds up a bit 'brown' in color, not purple.

Give the pots a try. I can't imagine not having basil!

Not sure where you are, but i stopped by Adams in Kingston a couple weeks ago and they have, again, the pots of big bushy basil plants in the veggie area. A few years ago i bought one and potted it up and kept it going all summer and all the next winter...indoors in a south window, keeping it pinched back...Just grew in on my deck outside the kitchen and behind my big kitchen herb pot, ...good sun, but the pot was out of direct sun, shaded by the herb pot.

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, sleevendog. I bought a bunch of very nice basil seedlings at a different Adams last week. Not only do they have the best price around, the roots are not overgrown in the pots, and they were single plants as opposed to 3 per pot, which means I didn't have to divide them. The baking soda idea is interesting -- I wonder if it's effective against this downy mildew.

What kind of potting mix do you use? I'm trying some in the 5-1-1 mix that's mentioned in the container forum, and some in McEnroe's Organics potting soil. Do you know that company, in Millerton?

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath