Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feverfew. Got questions.

Posted by ilovemyroses 8 Dallas TX (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 18:14

A friend gave me a potted feverfew, and I love the darling flowers. She said it reseeds alot, but she likes that. I would like seeds, too, as IF THIS IS as good as it looks, I would love it throughout my rose/cottage garden for borders. Have also thought of oxeye daisy.

QUESTION. Does this feverfew need regular deadheading to bloom for a reliable period of time through the summer?

QUESTION. Does it get ratty looking quickly and need much maintenance?

Any other comments, particularly how it responds to HOT TEXAS SUMMERS. Full sun? Partial sun?

IT IS SOOOO CUTE, would love it everywhere! (watch what I wish for, right??)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feverfew. Got questions.

There was a feverfew bush planted in the community garden I now supervise. Last year, my first experience with it was that it grew 2-3' tall, and about that wide, and bloomed profusely. I didn't deadhead, and think I got two blooms. But, it was much bigger than I expected, though the green stayed pretty well too. I'm in Denver, and our summer was quite hot and dry last year, in full intense high-altitude sun.

Unfortunately, it didn't survive our crazy spring cold here this year.

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 10:43

It doesn't need deadheading but it would probably keep it blooming longer.

I have not noticed it getting ratty looking though if it doesn't get enough water it'll start browning up some. Being a relatively small plant it is easy enough to prune.

While it does reseed itself in my experience it doesn't spread wildly. If left to go to seed I get a few that pop up next spring.

o

I've heard that feverfew keeps bees and butterflies away, is that true? It's the only reason it's not in my garden right now.

o

I have grown Fverfew for years. Mine self seeds without problem and returns every year. It can get a bit ratty but it doesn't last long here as I harvest to use for medicine. If you are worried about it's bee repellent qualities, plant it away from your garden area with other such plants.

o

Awesome. I have one plant and ordered seeds! I'll let you kmow how it goes!

o

ilovemyroses - if you have one plant you probably won't need those seeds! Mine self seeded best in paving rather than beds. It definitely doesn't need babying. Never was aware of any bee repellent qualities.

o

Doesn't scare the pollinators away from my place. It is very effective at self-seeding but just pull what you don't want. And it survives Western NY State winters like a champ - we have snow, cold, and ice.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here