Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samanthab_gw

What is eating my basil leaves?

samanthab
13 years ago

I've noticed lately that my basil leaves look like they are being eaten...I looked all over the plant and I cannot find any bugs, no eggs under leaves either.

Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Basil Leaf

Comments (5)

• carlyshells
    13 years ago

I am having the same problem with my basil, here in southern NH, and I discovered the culprit last night! I went out to the garden with my flashlight to pick some basil leaves and found tons of coppery-brown beetles munching on them. I have 10 basil plants and found at least a few on each plant. I knocked them off, but was afraid that the plants would all be gone by morning! I did check today, and half of my plants are completely chewed up.

I have no idea what types of beetles these are (def. not Japanese beetles), or if there are any organic control methods for this. If anyone else has thoughts on this, that would be great!

• margaret_nj
    13 years ago

Funny story. I tried a number of times to grow basil with no luck, not enough water, too much water, too much sun, etc. Last year I had a nice big planter with basil, it was looking good, but then I noticed the leaves with holes. I found these pretty, shiny, green bugs on them, but I was so upset over the bugs that my husband went inside got a can of Raid and sprayed, no, blasted the plant. The plant and bugs shriveled up and died in no time. I found out later the bugs were japanese beetles. I have no luck with basil. Supposedly one of the easiest herbs to grow. Now attempting to grow in doors and keeping my fingers crossed.

• Snowy2828
    12 years ago

I have had the same issues in southern, NH. I went out at about 9pm to find over 20 brown beetles, that resembled japanese-does the same damage as the jap. beetles. I hand picked them off (wore rubber gloves b.c. it grossed me out) and put them in a plastic tupperware filled with water and a little dish soap. This is the only way I've ever eased the issue with bugs eating my basil at night.

• nygardener
    12 years ago

Planting garlic nearby seems to discourage Japanese beetles. You could also try planting a "trap crop" such as evening primrose (Oenothera), which the bugs find more appealing than basil. Planting a few shrubs of wormwood (artemisia) also seems to serve as a repellent.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    12 years ago

Here in Maine the Japanese Beetles are eating my basil. I had to cover it so it still gets water and sun, and they haven't been around since.