Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_farmer_bob

Flavorless Mint

organic_farmer_bob
16 years ago

I am a new herb gardener. I have a chocolate mint plant in a medium size container (10"?). It is in generic potting soil. It was growing well, maybe 22" tall by 12" around. It has a dozen runners coming off of it with the little leaves starting to grow in clusters. The leaves on the upper part of the plant are perhaps the size of a quarter, a tad larger. The mint is in a south window in Vancouver, BC. When I first bought the 4" starter pot it was extremely fragrant. Now it is vaguely mint when you snip a leaf and crush it. Weak enough so you no longer get can really detect the chocolate note. I soak it thoroughly and let it dry tell the top 2" is...well not bone dry but the dirt no longer compacts at all and a small stick slid in comes out dry. I was using a touch of miracle grow on it, but discontinued a few weeks ago when I heard that you get stronger herbs with no fertilizer. Does anyone have any additional hint as to what I can do to add some potency to my mint? Right now it makes an ok addition to salad but a cup of chopped mint steeped as tea make about 16oz of water with almost no green colour and my fiancée tasted it when it was cold and thought it was filtered water. So...HELP ME!! Thanks everyone!!

Sorry this is so long...

Michael

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations