Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeding herbs

Posted by margowicz 8/9 UK (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 18:52

Hi again I was reading about but can't get answer to these couple question so as i do I thought I ask ones who have done it please.

the seed plants coriander parsley (mine a curly) dill and fennel I have.

My parsley is sending flower heads up I think my dill and coriander will soon.

Question is do i have leave the seeds to develop on the plant and when will it be a good time to cut the flower heads off?

Also will I be able to use it with oregano (green and golden) french parsley flat leaf sage and bronze fennel?

I need the coriander and fennel to develop both seeds to replant and taste as they are a spice.

Once again thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeding herbs

Leave the seeds on the plant until the flowers turn brown and are about to fall off. Pull the flowers apart to find the seeds. Dill is a very tiny seed.

o

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 17:09

By use it, do you mean in a spice mix? I think of parsley as a polite herb,,,it doesn't overwhelm other flavors, so I don't see why you couldn't.

Jan

o

thanks zack I was going to pull them when it was opened so I thank you.

Jll I use most these in cooking I don't see why I should pay a supermarket the money to grow them besides it odd problem mildew and aphids I seem to be ok at minute parsley and coriander the soft herbs and lovely freshness to any dish and colour sas for sage thyme and rosemary the add loads flavour to stews fish etc

but coriander fennel and some more you can use the freshness of leaves and the spiceyness from the seeds what I am after is a mix plants in seeding and others in growing

o

thanks zack I was going to pull them when it was opened so I thank you.

Jll I use most these in cooking I don't see why I should pay a supermarket the money to grow them besides it odd problem mildew and aphids I seem to be ok at minute parsley and coriander the soft herbs and lovely freshness to any dish and colour sas for sage thyme and rosemary the add loads flavour to stews fish etc

but coriander fennel and some more you can use the freshness of leaves and the spiceyness from the seeds what I am after is a mix plants in seeding and others in growing

o

In addition to saving the seeds, in my opinion, fennel and dill weed dries well. Dill is pretty obvious to most people, but I'm just starting to appreciate a tiny pinch of fennel weed to develop flavors (and I'm not big into anise-herb flavor). I've just found that it's a nice more mellow flavor than enhances other flavors rather than the seed which can easily overpower. Also love coriander, but have not really used parsley seed before. Again, see no reason why it wouldn't work just fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here