Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakedallasmary

how to use mint

lakedallasmary
16 years ago

I just received some mint plants on a trade. 4 types really. I asked for the lemon balm since I like lemon balm tea. She wanted to send 3 more types. I said ok, but now i am wondering what to do with them. I don't like mint. I thought hubby could possibly use as a mint tea. But yesterday he was reading ingredients for a tea, and said ugg, mint, and put the container down and brewed up a orange peach tea. Gee, he does not like mint tea, now what? I thought he liked mint since he will each candies that have mint in them.

any ideas?

the other 3 types are spearmint, chocolate mint, and pineapple mint

Comments (11)

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

Tons of ideas at the link below. But if you don't like mint.... why grow it??

Mint goes well in/with:
    Meat, fish, vegetables, salads, fruit salads, stewed pears/apples. Use in lamb dishes, jellies, with cold cuts, cheese, peas, Middle Eastern dishes.

Herb Candy
    4 cups boiling water
    2 cups herb leaves with stems and blossoms or 1/4 cup seeds
    3 cups each white and brown sugar
    1/2 tablespoon butter

Pour boiling water over herbs or seeds and steep for 10 minutes or longer for stronger tea. Strain. Add sugar and butter and bring to the boil over medium heat. Cook till syrup hardens when a small amount is dropped into cold water. Pour into a buttered shallow pan. Score into squares before it sets or break up into pieces as soon as hard. Wrap each piece in waxed paper and store in airtight containers. Try the following herbs: any mint, lemon balm, lemon verbena, horehound, wintergreen. Or seeds of fennel, anise, caraway, coriander, star anise. The method also works well with other herbs and spices.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to use mint

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

It sometimes amuzes me that we buy an unusual herb or plant, only to find that its not something we like. In my dads last years, he would go to the supermarket and pick up whole bunches of celery every time he shopped. We would have it everywhere and it was rotting in the fridge. Funny, he didn't even like celery unless it had a big gob of creamed cheese on it. Even for that, you can only eat so much.. Mint isn't one of my favorites, its too similar to the taste of toothpaste..

• cziga
    16 years ago

One of the best Mint recipes I have ever found that doesn't use it as a dessert or tea is with potatoes.

Get some of those small potatoes, either white or red, and cut in half. Cook (either in boiling water on the stovetop or on the BBQ). Cook till tender but not mushy. Remove from heat and drain. Then all you do is add a spoonful of sugar and a handful of sliced or ripped up mint leaves. Mix together thoroughly.

Mint Potatoes. They actually taste really good, and are a nice, light way to eat potatoes in the summertime.

Mint and Lamb are a classic combination of course, but I can't help with recipes as I don't cook lamb.

Mint would go well in salads and fruit salads. I've never tried Mint on fish, maybe the lemon mint or pinneaple mint would go well on kebobs on the BBQ (chicken or fish) or even just a chicken breast/fish filet on the BBQ.

Citrus Mint Chicken Wings:
    Marinade: mix Lemon Zest, Lemon Juice, Grated Ginger, Maple Syrup (or honey), Rice Wine Vinegar (tangy), Chopped Mint Leaves, 1 cube of Chicken Bouillon (DonÂt use water, just crumble up the cube), Black Pepper.
    Pour this marinade over the chicken wings and let sit for 1-4 hours. Then, shake off excess marinade and cook. Can be cooked in a pan on the stove or on a grill/BBQ.

• herbivore
    16 years ago

Just say MOJITOS!!!

• herboholic
    16 years ago

Yea MOJITOS! I especially LOVE using lime mint for those!

I have been recently getting into enjoying herbal teas as well as green and white teas. I love going into the garden and picking some mint and steeping it with the tea. Add a couple lemon wedges to the hot mixture to steep. Delicious! I'm having some now.

• lavenderforluck
    16 years ago

did you know Mint can also be insect repellent?? i use it on my dogs and cats i just grab a handful if they are outside with me in the evening and rub it on there coats it repels alot of things bitting flys,gnats,ect.
    I use it also as a good smelly thing. When i want to cut back the Mint i just cut it close to the ground tie the ends and hang it up around the house. It gives a good fresh smell all around.
    You can add it to Bath Water and it has a Calming Effect Just grab some out of your garden rinse it as you are running your bath crush it with your hands and add it to the water and Soak away my fav is this and some Lavender just melts that bad stress away.
    I also use it In Cooked Peas and New Potatoes. Its Awsome on Pork Roasts I just add it the last 1/2 hour.
    A few sprigs of Mint will settle an upset tummy and if you have babies its a great and Natural Way to settle a little ones tummy just boil about 1/2 cup mint leaves in some water let it cool add a touch of sugar or white Karo Syrup in there bottle and shortly it will settle there stomach.

OK enough I could go on and on if you want email me I love mint..

• sherinyc
    16 years ago

if you like mint chip ice cream, try this yogurt snack:

finely chop several sprigs of chocolate mint. Stir into a cup of plain yogurt (get Total brand if you see it). Stir a handful of chocolate chips in.

Sheri

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

I always chuck a bit of chopped mint into a potato salad. Mint and potato is a marriage made in heaven.

• leslie_c
    16 years ago

dear cziga,
    Those were some great ideas for using mint. I had never thought of using mint for potatoes or chicken. I will definitely be trying that soon. Hey BTW, do you think that chicken recipe would be good on pork ribs and maybe cider or red wine vinegar?

• leslie_c
    16 years ago

Does anyone remember that old recipee for cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions marinated in vinegar and sugar? Adding a little chopped mint to it tastes great.

• kay777gee_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Just add some not too or little mint, 4-5 slices of lemon and a bit of orange slices into the glass jar, add some ice for refreshing yourself in the hot days or mix it with your 15 or 18yrs whiskey you will come back to me and ask another recipe.
    Thanks