Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basil turning yellow

Posted by shelleyh z5 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 18:59

I put 7 basil plants in pots and they are growing tall but some of their leaves, especially the bottom ones are turning yellow in a blotchy way. The whole leaf isn't yellow only parts. I haven't been overwatering them. What could be causing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basil turning yellow

Enough sun???

o

SEVEN BASIL PLANTS IN ANY POT IS TOO MANY.
They will tend to become root bound, cake up and won't absorb the nutrients.
Nothing else, they will be dwarfs and will try to flower persistantly, b/c thats all the chance they got.

Generally, pellow color of most garden plants, SWEET BASIL, in your case,
is associated withe:
--- too much water, rinsing/flushing the nitrogen out.
--- too little nitrogen to begin with
--- too much shade
--- any combitation thereof

cyrus

o

I think shellyh meant she had 7 basil plants in 7 seperate pots ( if I am reading it right ).

What soil mix did you use ? When I grow in containers I don't use mixes alone out of the bag, even mixes made for
containers, I added bulky materials and perlite to help lighten up the mix. The only thing I can think of is that maybe there is not enough oxygen getting to the basil's roots.

Good luck

o

I am having this problem too and I don't know what is causing it. It is only the bottom leaves on mine. Does this just mean that they are ready to be picked or are they bad now?

o

Basil is picked when green.

They should be in a good driaining soil as namfon mentions.

Have they been fed at all?

JoJo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here