Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrslenne

First timer here. Please help with my lavender(w/ pics)

mrslenne
10 years ago

Hi.
I just moved into an apartment in Phoenix, AZ when I decided to plant lavender. I did some research beforehand to find out they are a plant that thrives in crappy conditions, such as the ones here in Phoenix. I also realize it was a bit too late to be planting them but I thought it would be ok.

My backyard is full of rocks, dirt, gravel and when you dig deep it almost seems as if there's a layer of concrete (clay?)

It faces the south and in these months there is nothing but sun and heat back there with very little shade.

When my husband planted them (he was trying to surprise me), he planted them in the soil the plants were bought in, with some kind of Miracle Grow soil (even though I did tell him that lavender don't need or like rich soil).

I watered them there and then made sure to check the following day before I watered again (I stuck my finger in the dirt). However, they are looking even worse today and I am sad.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Comments (13)

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

They look really thirsty. I have mine in 2 locales: 1: morning sun & afternoon shade. Doing very well- 2.the one in sandy soil & afternoon sun isn't thriving. Lavender for me has always been tricky - What you read about them & what they respond to are two different things. I'm in Ga- must be the humidity or something. But - my lavender in the richer soil with afternoon shade is in MUCH better shape.

• mrslenne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok so basically I need to move them? Won't that basically kill them anyway?

• mrslenne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok so basically I need to move them? Won't that basically kill them anyway?

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

Not necessarily. I move things from time to time with great success. I moved an oak leaf hydrangea today that was in its spot 2 years & 8 " tall. It was taunting me. Don't fret ! Plants have a way of commicating when they aren't happy. You have to be brave and experiment a bit- You'll be rewarded ! Promise !

• mrslenne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great! Thanks for your help. I will be trying to move them then because they do look exhausted! Should I cut them as well? So they can focus on taking root. As you see the flower is wilted as well.

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

Not sure... I usually cut only the dead away.

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

Here's the lavender that gets the morning sun- You can still see a little dead from winter ..

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

This is the lavender in the sandy soil with hot afternoon sun. Keep in mind- we've had 10" of rain in the last 2 weeks - So it looks a lot better !

• lolauren
    10 years ago

I have dozens of lavender plants in a hot, dry climate. They are all planted surrounded by rock mulch and/or near stucco walls in poor, sandy soil. Some get sun all day and some only get morning sun. Some I decide to water, but most survive on nothing for months at a time (once established.) They all thrive, so I don't think your location is the issue as much as your timing.... in the heat of late spring/summer, nothing wants to be planted. It's stressful. I would just leave them alone and see if they recover.

With that said, they do appear to be planted quite close to the fence... If that plant wants to grow a foot in each direction, you're going to have issues (unless they are further back than they appear.) How big is that bed and what type of lavender is it? It seems you only would need one centered in that area, but I don't grow that type of lavender. (don't think it's hardy here?)

Finally, is there any chance you are over watering?

• cenepk10
    10 years ago

Good point, Lolauren, about the variety- Some do better than others in a particular climate- Interesting ! In my hot site where the little lavender is dwarfed- I also have artemesia which is dwarfed. The Artemesia I have planted in dappled shade is enormous - But the rosemary, caryoteris , roses, lambs ears, spiderwort all do so well in the hell hot spot. So weird.

• bluedesertflower
    9 years ago

I just bought a goodwin creek hybrid lavender yesterday and i transplanted it into a 8 inch ceramic pot today.i live in phoenix and i have read that lavender loves the sun so im wondering if i leave it in full sun all day will it be alright.az full sun is strong stuff..

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Full sun is fine once it's established. If it's new to your garden and you've just repotted it don't expose it to full sun for a few weeks. Also in a pot is will get much hotter and drier than in the ground. In ground cultivation is far easier. BTW an 8 inch pot is going to be too small in a while.