Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'wild' parsley?

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 19:47

I had planted the curled leaf parsley a couple years ago but now I have the flat leaf variety coming up all over ... does it revert from seeds to another variety? Also, which has the strongest flavor... the curled leaf or the flat leaf & is there a 'wild' kind that can come from either of the other two? I'd always had a hard time getting either kind of parsley to grow but now it is coming up all over like a weed! I'm not complaining though as I use a lot of it & can contain it with vigouous weeding out a lot of it but was just curious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'wild' parsley?

I have never had curly parsley revert to flat-leafed, or vice versa. I've had more luck with the flat-leafed variety self-seeding, than the curly one. While related, they are 2 distinct species: curly parsley is Petroselinum crispum, Flat-leafed or Italian parsley is Petroselinum neopolitanum.

The flat-leafed parsley has the stronger flavour of the two.

Be very careful with parsley-looking plants. You could well have something poisonous, a gift from the birds.

eg: There's Wild Chervil (Anthriscus sylvestris): Also known as Cow Parsley, Dog Parsley, and many other names. Similar to Chervil but grows to only about 10cm tall, with grass-green, downy leaves. The stem is hairy at the base and smooth above. It is easily confused with poisonous plants such as Hemlock (Fools Parsley).

Hemlock has a foetid smell. Chervil and parsley smell much better! But if you are in doubt, have your plants professionally identified WITHOUT doing a taste test!

Lovage also looks a lot like flat-leafed parsley when young.

o
RE: 'wild' parsley?

Yes, I have lovage also coming up all over too but I know what it looks like. I do remember a few years ago I did have some of the flat leaf parsley so perhaps some seeded un-noticed & that is what is coming up all over just now! This flat leaf looks kinda 'wild' as some have reverted to thinner leaves but they do definately smell like parsley .. thanks for your warning though!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here