Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brookekirchner

herbs for shade and heat

brookekirchner
9 years ago

I asked this on my state forum and got a few responses but looking for more. I realize I'm late getting started so looking for ideas for the fall planting season. The weather here stays very hot until september/ october (100's). I just bought a town home with a walled patio and a large shady tree next to it.
I get probably 2-3 hours of partial shade a day. I would love to do raised beds but I don't want to waste my time. I'm a complete newbie! any ideas for edible (culinary) herbs that will tolerate the heat and the shade? I don't have a ton of space so I would have to do raised beds or containers of some sort.

so far the ideas given to me have been:

basil and garlic

Any other ideas?

Comments (4)

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

Culinary herbs tend to be mostly full-sun things. Lovage can tolerate some partial shade.

FataMorgana

• eibren
    9 years ago

You could try various mints and oregano, as well as sage and thyme. They will not be as vigorous, but usually can survive in less than full sun. Pineapple sage can, as well.

Lemon balm will do quite well in part shade.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

I can attest that mints will be fine with just a little sun- in fact, it's always a good idea to keep mint in containers to try to slow their quest for world domination.

We have a lot of trees in our yard, and the neighbors ask how I can grow anything in so much shade, but I've learned that shade is an asset in our hot 8b climate. I am also learning that there is more sun in our yard over the course of a long summer day than I really thought.

Not everything likes our dappled shade/ part sun, but I am growing rosemary, various thymes, lovage, oregano, chives, garlic, parsley, basil, borage, culinary sage, winter savory, pineapple sage, and white bergamot (a type of bee balm) in dappled shade.

You need to be especially careful not to overwater your herbs. I find that a small spritz of water daily works well during warm/hot weather, but your mileage may vary. These herbs keep going until we get freezing weather, but in cooler weather I let the herbs dry out between waterings.

The usual recommendation for watering sage is to water it deeply, then let it dry out between waterings. It's easier for me to have everything on the same watering schedule so they seem to be fine with a small misting daily.

My mints, sages and oregano and a few others are in containers with well-draining organic "soil" (compost, basically).

Keep an eye on the size of your pots- if they're too small, your plants will probably start drooping, but if the pots are too large, they may get too much moisture... With any container plant, it's best to only go up one size when moving to a larger pot.

When you're home during the day, watch the sun/shade patterns in you yard, so you can figure out which spaces get more sun throughout the day. If your herbs are in containers you can move things around to see where they're happiest.

Instead of building a raised bed, consider a large galvanized washtub or other container with holes drilled in the bottom for good drainage.

Good luck,
    Virginia

• brookekirchner
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the replies! I think I'll try mint , thyme, oregano, and rosemary. I