Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My herbs seem to be dying! Is it the little black flies?Hi all,

Posted by polina809 Northern Cali (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 12, 09 at 20:39

Hi all,
I planted basil, chives, and parsley and (separately) mint. The mint has fared terribly, many of the leaves going completely black and the tips of the remaining leaves also black. I cut down most of the plant (hence no photo) but even the little sprouts coming up seem to have the plague.

The parsley (see photo) has brown tips, and the basil is all but dead and never really even grew much. I have these tiny little flies crawling all around my container and wonder if they are the source? The garden store suggested that I have whiteflies (though these certainly aren't white) and recommended an organic spray I have been using but it does not seem to work :-/. Any suggestions?? I'm a first time gardener, so this is terribly disappointing!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My herbs seem to be dying! Is it the little black flies?Hi al

Ok, I asked my husband to go after the flies with his macro lens, so here is what they look like. Can anyone identify these critters? There are hundreds of them crawling all over the container!

Photobucket
Photobucket

o
RE: My herbs seem to be dying! Is it the little black flies?Hi al

Fungus gnats look similar. as to plants dieing, its cilantro and they do yellow after a few days on older leaves. It appears that your watering too much and that cna also deal to damping off and the base of the stems will dry out casing the plant to die. Avoid using common potting or garden soils as they can contain both issues. Sterial seed starting medium will give better results and has no fungus or insect cultures in it to cause these damages.

To remove the fungus gnats, use yellow sticky traps placed horizontally on the edges of the pots. For the eggs and maggpots they produce, use a form of Bt that will kill the maggots in the soil.

Numerous times these same issues have been asked covered here and I give the same answers repeatedly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fungus gnat photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here