Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing hydroponic basil?

Posted by julle (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 20:43

Has anyone here grown basil indoors in a hydro? How is the taste compared to basil grown outdoors? I'd like to start experimenting with some hydro setups and basil would be nice to grow, but I'm a bit worried about what to expect when it comes to the taste of the basil...I'll use a 400W HPS.
/JJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing hydroponic basil?

I've got a Sweet Basil plant growing in my DWC hydroponic system at this very moment. I was going to grow a comparison basil plant outside in soil, but it died in a thunderstorm so I can't say too much about how the hydroponic one compares.

I haven't actually cooked with the hydroponic basil yet, but it's growing like a weed. I've had to top it twice just to keep it out of the light fixture.

Here's what I can tell you: the enclosure pretty much smells of basil all the time. Not overpoweringly so unless you handle the plant (which releases the oils). But the plant is extremely potent. If I so much as lightly brush a leaf with my finger I will smell basil for an hour simply with my hands vaguely near my face.

As long as you give the plant proper nutrition you won't have to worry about it lacking taste.

In fact, I just pinched off a little piece of leaf from my first topping, which finally dried, and popped it in my mouth. It's definitely not spectacular (fresh is always better than dried), but it is more flavorful than store-bought and has a pleasing minty, almost spicy component.

I think you'll be very happy with the results. I'm not sure that DWC is best suited to basil, but mine seems happy enough (though the leaves have a large downward curl or "cupping", the plant seems to be quite vigorous.)

o

Hi I'm Jave
I'm just starting out with hydro, and am wondering what nutrient mix - mixes you are using for the Basil, and possibly where I can buy it online...
I am getting confused with the many different brands, and phases there are for nutrients, and have not found any solid guides.

Any help would be great thanks

o

Hydroponics--Just curious, what variety of basil are you growing??

o

Jave, you only need to get nutrients that are for vegetative growth, not "bloom" or "flowering". Keep it in the 700-1000ppm range with 5.5-7.0pH and you'll be fine. If you don't have meters, you really do need one.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://dotcadot.ca/blogs/jean-paul/dwc-sweet-basil-150w-hps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here