Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lar3n

sevin dust on herbs

lar3n
9 years ago

I'm new, If this has been addressed please excuse me, I have looked and can't find it anywhere.

My parents are allowing me to grow some herbs/plants in containers in their yard this season.
Today when I went out to clip some mint, I found that my dad had put sevin dust on some of them.

I have previously only used organic gardening methods and my dad believes sevin dust is "mild and fine."

While I don't want to argue with my dad.. I also dont want to eat herbs with pesticides on them.. controlling that was the purpose in growing them to begin with.

My question- do I have to cut my losses and toss the whole crop or is there a way to salvage all my work?
I was hoping to move my pots/plants to my own location later. Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• chervil2
    9 years ago

Sevin dust is a carbaryl based insecticide that breaks down and detoxifies. You will need to allow time for this process.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

If I were you I would be livid. Sevin Dust kills pretty much everything that comes into contact with it, both good, bad, and neutral, so I fail to see how it's "mild and fine".

It's up to you if you want to use the herbs. If you don't feel comfortable, don't. If you are going to use them you'll have to wait a while and wash them well. The label makes no mention of using it on herbs so you'll have to come to your own conclusion about how long to wait before eating (I'd probably use the lettuce time of 14 days).

Rodney

Here is a link that might be useful: Sevin Dust Label

This post was edited by theforgottenone1013 on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 11:36

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

What was affected other than mint? It can be chopped off and regrow quickly enough. Now if you're talking rosemary or similar that grows much more slowly, then I would wait a couple weeks, then wash thoroughly. Let you dad know that there are good bugs too--don't just indiscriminately kill off.

• lar3n
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your response.
    I'm pretty upset,ÃÂ but my parents are allowing me to use their property so...

I think I will wait the time out, wash everything well, and move the pots next door to my sister's deck. Possibly cut everything back and let it grow out again... do some more research. .. I'm newish to gardening so this is rather frustrating.

My dad has always used sevin dust on his plants, fruit, tomatoes,ÃÂ etc. Thats how it got on mine. He moved my pots over next to his tomatoes and then dusted the tomatoes. He also moved my pots and the dog dug up my stuff several times (I had them up high where the dog couldn't reach).

I didn't have them at my sister's because of the ease of watering and sunlight issues, but I think they will fair better there, instead of having to contend with both pesticides and a dog.

• lar3n
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm having trouble with internet so I hope I'm not double posting...

The herbs affected are:
    Mint, thyme, sage, cilantro, parsley, rosemary, basil etc.

• lar3n
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm having trouble with internet so I hope I'm not double posting...

The herbs affected are:
    Mint, thyme, sage, cilantro, parsley, rosemary, basil etc.

• lar3n
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your response.
    I'm pretty upset,ÃÂ but my parents are allowing me to use their property so...

I think I will wait the time out, wash everything well, and move the pots next door to my sister's deck. Possibly cut everything back and let it grow out again... do some more research. .. I'm newish to gardening so this is rather frustrating.

My dad has always used sevin dust on his plants, fruit, tomatoes,ÃÂ etc. Thats how it got on mine. He moved my pots over next to his tomatoes and then dusted the tomatoes. He also moved my pots and the dog dug up my stuff several times (I had them up high where the dog couldn't reach).

I didn't have them at my sister's because of the ease of watering and sunlight issues, but I think they will fair better there, instead of having to contend with both pesticides and a dog.