Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indigofera tinctoria (suffruticosa)

Posted by pieheart 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 21:13

I have no idea which forum to post this to. I'm guessing this is the right one, hopefully someone here can help.

Several years ago I bought a plant labeled Indigofera tinctoria (suffruticosa) from a localish herb farm. Every year it came back but never flowered. If it didn't flower this year I was going to rip it out and find something else for the space. However, this year it did flower and it was gorgeous! It is now going to seed, so I did some googling to see if I should deadhead or leave the seeds to mature. Instead of finding this information I learned that the plant I have is tropical or subtropical and should not be a perennial in zone 6.

Now I wonder if I have true indigo, perhaps it's actually false indigo. Can anyone advise how to tell the difference?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indigofera tinctoria (suffruticosa)

Please post a picture. It really helps us to answer your question.

FataMorgana

o

I'll try to remember to take one tomorrow morning before work. If I wait until after work it's too dark.

o

Here are some pictures. Indigofera or Baptista?

Here is a link that might be useful: indigo pictures

o

I must say that I'm not familiar with Indigofera tinctoria but it does look like the Baptista I've grown. Even the seed pods looks like a Baptista. By the way, what color were the blooms?

FataMorgana

o

The blooms were a deep blue purple, not the light purple color I've seen on Purple Smoke. I have lost the tag to my plant over time (probably washed away with snow runoff) but I'm ALMOST positive it said indigofera. But I guess not.

I really don't care which I have, I love the plant. I was just curious. Thanks for all the responses!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here