Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanine_gurley

Ideas for using Purslane

Jeanine Gurley
12 years ago

I just started using my purslane and so far I have added it to tea and minced it in omelets.

I like it in the omlets but in salad it is a little sour for my taste. Anyone else have ideas for how to use it?

Comments (4)

• jwarner62
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's a very succulent herb (actually a weed)and it contains a high amount of omega 3 fatty acid and it's stems are loaded with vitamin C. I think it has a peppery lemony flavor.
    I love it in salads, but I also have added it to fruit salads, the flavor really goes well with the sweetness of the fruit and adds a punch of wow!

Here is a link that might be useful: Teas, Spices and Herbs Oh My!

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Doesn't taste peppery or lemony here but green salads and a garden munchie is how I use it. It tastes more akin to spinach in my book.

Now sorrel, that's a great lemony taste!

FataMorgana

• Daisyduckworth
    12 years ago

Culinary Uses: Stems and leaves are highly nutritious and can be eaten raw in salads. They can also be cooked or pickled. Can be frozen or dried and stored in airtight containers. The seeds can be eaten raw or ground and made into bread.
    Medicinal Uses: Used to treat burns, trauma, headaches, stomach, intestinal and liver ailment, coughs, shortness of breath, boils, sores, vaginal discharges and urinary tract infections and arthritis. The whole plant, mashed, can be applied as a poultice for sore eyes. A good dietary source of iron and calcium, Vitamins A and C, and omega-3 fatty acids.

Pickled Purslane
    enough purslane stems and leaves to fill a 1 litre container
    3 garlic cloves, sliced
    1 litre apple cider vinegar
    10 peppercorns

Cut the purslane into 2cm pieces and place in clean jars with lids. Add the spices and pour the vinegar over. Store in the fridge for at least 2 weeks before using as a side dish with omelettes and sandwiches.

Purslane Ratatouille
    2 cups chopped purslane
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 capsicum
    2 cups canned or fresh tomatoes
    125g tin sliced mushrooms (or use fresh)
    salt
    sprinkle garlic powder
    soy sauce (optional)

Cook purslane, onion and capsicum until tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer a few minutes. Rice can be added to the mixture if desired and cooked for 20-40 minutes.

Stirfried Purslane
    1 or 2 bunches purslane
    1 tablespoon oil
    1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
    1 tablespoon light soy sauce
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon oriental sesame oil

Wash the purslane, shake dry and trim off the roots and tough lower ends of stems. Cut into bite-sized pieces. Heat oil and fry garlic on low heat until fragrant. Toss in the purslane and stir-fry for 1 minute, add soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and mix quickly.

Purslane and Penne
    125g lean, smoky bacon, cut crosswise into short 3mm wide strips
    125g penne or other tubular-shaped pasta
    1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
    450g young purslane, washed and woody stems removed
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    sugar or honey to taste
    2 cups seeded and diced ripe plum tomatoes
    1/2 cup finely diced feta cheese
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a frypan, cook bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels and set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Cook penne in lightly salted boiling water until just al dente. Drain and toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Keep warm. In a large frypan over moderate heat, saute purslane quickly in the reserved bacon fat until just tender but not limp, approximately 2-3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of the red wine vinegar and sugar or honey to taste and cook for 30 seconds. Add the cooked pasta, remaining olive oil, seeded and diced ripe plum tomatoes, finely diced feta and bacon, and toss just to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and additional drops of vinegar, if desired. Serve immediately.

Purslane and Cheese
    2 cups purslane, chopped
    3 tablespoons butter or margarine
    3 tablespoons plain flour
    2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
    2 tablespoons chilli powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
    sour cream

In a large saucepan, cook the purslane until just tender. Do not overcook. Remove, drain and set aside. In a large frypan, over medium heat, heat the butter. Add the flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute to remove the raw edge from the flour. To the roux, slowly whisk in the stock. Add the chilli powder, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir to combine. Cook for 10 minutes. Add the purslane and heat. Place in a warmed, decorative serving bowl and top with cheese. Microwave or place in a low oven until cheese is melted. Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream.

• t-bird
    12 years ago

just add it in to any stirfry or steamed with any green combo....