Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mint - Why Are The Edges of My Mint Leaves Brown?

Posted by focusfish Maryland (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 23:54

Hello,

I placed some mint inside a large outdoor pot with proper drainage and a combination of Miracle Grow potting soil and last year's compost material.

Almost from the start, most of the leaves began to develop a brown, crispy edge. I can actually crumble the brownish part of the leaf and it feels just like a dead, dried leaf from a tree in the fall/winter.

The plant receives sun all day and temperature has been very hot the past month 80s - 90s. I water every day (maybe that is too much) as the heat seems to dry the soil each afternoon.

Below is a picture of one of the leaves.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks so much!

www.calmichael.com/photo/photo.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mint - Why Are The Edges of My Mint Leaves Brown?

I'm no expert, but are you watering from above ie. are the leaves getting wet, if so could be 'sunburn'

I've got mine in a shady spot, and TBH it takes whatever water you throw at it. I water the soil/base rather than the leafy part, just a thought.

o

I do water from above occasionally and the leaves do get wet. Will try watering at the soil level.

The plants are on my deck which recieves sun ALL day long. If it is sunburn, wonder why this only effects the edges of the leaf.

Here is an additional picture. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

o

mints can do better in the shade with little direct sun.
I am in zone 8, temps hovering near 100F now
and my mints are doing ok, not as good as spring time though.
I would suggest that you move your mints to a mostly shady location and water them more frequently.
But no matter what you do, they will no be as tender as they used to be in the sprng

o

Either way you not going to kill it :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here