Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Borage flowers

Posted by CaraRose 5b Chicago (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 23:54

Okay, my first borage flower opened today. So I ate it...

I'm not sure if I'm going to be leaving many of them for the pollinators! ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Borage flowers

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 12:26

I love them too, but don't worry!

The plant is going to become a monster - there will be plenty for you and them!

o

my borage is growing... i think. i planted it and nasturtium... not sure what's what at this point... i really hope the borage makes it, i'm looking forward to trying the flowers!!

o

Borage has large long oval leaves that are softly fuzzy when small, and get rather prickly when larger. Nasturtiums are a cress, and have a rounded leaf, kind of like a lily pad shape. They are very easy to tell apart.

o

Borage can become a weed and grow EVERYWHERE!! If you don't want it taking over, plant it somewhere it can't. I have mine in an area that is surrounded by fencing and driveway. It is confined. The young seedlings are pretty good, too. Pick them before they get too hairy or it feels like cactus.

o

Borage volunteers are easy to pull so no worries about it taking over!

FataMorgana

o

So, is there a good way to collect the seeds? I started investigating my spent flowers, and found the immature seeds, but few mature ones. I understand they drop quickly. Any good hints on catching them, or just hunt a couple times a day?

o

I just hunt regularly but you could try putting some light grey fabric weed block/ mulch under the plant. You should be able to collect the small, dark grenade shaped seeds.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here