Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvested Catnip has little bugs....What should i do?

Posted by drewstealth CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 9, 10 at 0:05

This is my first time growing any herbs. I just did my first harvest from a Petco catnip plant that I put into a bigger pot. It had a lot of nice size buds and the stems were about 1 ft tall. I'm letting them dry on cardboard with the leaves on the stems still. I had some on a white paper plate for a night and in the morning I noticed there were some little yellowish brown bugs on the plate, I think they are thrips. I don't know what to do now. Can I still give this to my plants? Should I try kill the bugs still? I'm going to get some neem oil for the Catnip plant that's still in the pot.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvested Catnip has little bugs....What should i do?

I would just shake the stems to get more bugs out and let the catnip dry until crispy. After the herb is dry put it in an airtight container and stick in the freezer for a day. Lots of people do this with their grains and flours before using, to kill any weevils or moths. You can also submerge your harvested stems in a bucket of cold water to get the bugs out before you dry them, but tiny dried bugs aren't going to hurt your cats...they would probably ingest all kinds of cooties if they were munching on the plant outside, and my cats hunt bugs all the time inside or out.

o
RE: Harvested Catnip has little bugs....What should i do?

I have had a small catnip plant for a while, and lately the leaves started getting white spots on leaves. I was wondering what it could be, did I water it to much? Would appreciate any advice. thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here