Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarletdaisies

Korean Sesame/ Perilla Pickle

scarletdaisies
12 years ago

I have wild perilla, the green kind, but used to have the dark red kind, growing in my yard. I searched the internet for a recipe and found the Korean Sesame recipe.

1/4 cup soysauce

sesame seeds

perlla leaves

2 cloves garlic

chili peppers/alternative was 1/4 green pepper and 1 small jalepeno

Plastic lid and bowl

Keep in refrigerator for 6 hours before eating.

Most recipes say not to cook the leaves, but the one I found said to simmer them for 3 to 5 minutes. First you add all the ingredients accept the leaves and sesame seeds, put it in a small sauce pan, heat until boiling, then take down to a simmer, add the green leaves until 3 to 5 minutes. They were so wilted the first batch I made, it was like separating cooked spinach into flat pieces. You layer them with the sprinkles of peppers and sesame seeds, one layer at a time. The second, they were cooked for 5 on even lower heat, and they were in between cooked and not cooked, easier to handle, but stil very wilted.

I liked the wilted kind much better, but I saw videos of most other recipes, the leaves are used raw. What is the real tradition?

To do it again, I would shred the perilla, mix the mix mentioned above, add the shredded perilla, mix good stirring occationally for 3 minutes, sprinkle the sesame seeds on, maybe add 1 tablespoon, mix good, and then it's easier to serve.

Also I'll bet this same recipe could be used for mustard, collard, and turnip greens, accept you would cook them longer.

So am I losing the real Korean dish making it a commercial American one instead, or do they cook the leaf slightly before they eat them?

It was really good, and anything with soysauce marinated in it is going to taste good. Can't find the "Kitchen" or "Recipe" forum, so posted in herb. Perilla is in the mint family.

Comments (6)

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forgot to add 1 teaspoon of sugar is included in the recipe. Does no one cook with perilla? Shiso Plant/Beef steak plant? Just wondering.

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Oddly enough, I've never been able to start this one from seed. It's been a while since I tried so I'll have to try again. But since fresh isn't really available, I've only used the Japanese yukari shiso salt. I've used it in Japanese styled quick pickles. Adds tang and color.

As for fresh shiso, I would use it if I could grow it. :)

FataMorgana

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, I was so diappointed when the same plant from my other house didn't grow from seed collected by it. I was disapointed, until I saw another lady's collection of herb plants, some photos she had on facebook. It was the same green weed I kept pulling out of my garden, the thing is uncontrollable. If you can't grow the purple/red variety, grow the green one. You can't kill it, it's a mint!

I've already made this 3 times, watched 2 videos, but I like my greens cooked thoroghly, so the videos prefer to use the green leaves and wrap them around rice with their chopsticks. I didn't have the patience to wait for the rice to get done, I really liked the taste of the soy sauce mix over it, it didn't need anything else.

The green ones do not taste as well as the wilted ones, and it's very easy to wilt perilla/shiso. Not so easy to wilt mustard, so I would add more cooking time before anyone start the soy recipe.

All I know is I can eat this every day, no complaints here, and what a surprise that it grew as a weed in the yard.

If you can't grow you other one, grow the green variety, it's hard not to grow, seedlings sprout every day.

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Yeah, I've always tried growing the aka shiso (red shiso). Maybe I'll try the green. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have grown mitsuba (Japanese parsley or hornwort) and shungiku (edible chrysanthemum) which are plants with unique tastes. I'm trying red malabar (another asian plant) this year. Reminds me of purslane in taste but with a climbing habit. Very pretty edible.

I took the suggestion of another poster here and tried Kitazawa for Asian veggies this year. I'm growing some Japanese pepper (Shishito & Yatsufusa) and eggplant (Konasu) varieties I got from them. Too early in the season to comment on those yet. But it's a nice place to try if looking for Asian seeds.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitazawa Seed Co.

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those sound good to try, my lettuces didnt grow well, so I may just use that space for something like you mentioned. I'll look at those.

Thanks!!

What's the best flavor? I'll bet all can be used for that recipe.

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Best flavor between mitsuba and shungiku? Mitsuba. Shungiku has a powerful taste and a little bit goes a very long way. Mitsuba has an herbal taste, akin to parsley's or cilantro's herbal tastes although uniquely mitsuba.

Shungiku is a flowering and very pretty edible.

FataMorgana

Shungiku:

Mitsuba:

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio