Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbs indoors?

Posted by timeimpaired Nebraska (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 27, 09 at 0:47

I am what they call a black thumb gardener. But this year my garden grew and well I must add! But I want herbs and I also want to keep them in pots if I can indoors. This way I can keep them during the winter. I was wondering if anyone knew what did well in that invironment. I can of course have the pots outside during the summer but winter indoors. I am so new at this gardening thing and making things live....lol. I would appreciate any help I can get from anyone in regards to starting this project. Thank you for reading this and hope to hear from you soon.

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbs indoors?

Suggest you do a search within this forum. The same questions have been asked previously.

o

Searching this forum is a good suggestion. Volumes of information have already been written on many subjects including keeping herbs indoors.

"Herbs" is also a very big group of plants. What plants specifically were you interested in growing?

FataMorgana

o

Since you're a newbie here, you may not have discovered the Search button near the bottom of the page. Here are the results of my search for 'herbs indoors'.

At the risk of repeating myself, I'll just add a couple of comments.

First, according to a wise old gardener I once knew: "God didn't make houses. And he didn't make pots, either". Food for thought. Plants really prefer the Big Outdoors.

Second, most beginners are quite surprised to learn just how BIG a lot of herbs can get. If you're happy with a scrawny little thing with a maybe a dozen leaves on it, sitting in a teensy little pot on your kitchen window-sill, that's fine. However, if you put the same plant in the garden, giving it the conditions it prefers, you are likely to end up with a decent-sized shrub!! Big difference. Better still, its leaves won't be covered with dust and grease (or quite so many bugs).

Here is a link that might be useful: search results

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here