Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the most invasive 'mint' variety

Posted by zippo1 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 31, 10 at 0:52

Spearmint vs peppermint vs applemint vs all the other mints which one of ALL do you consider to be the fastest spreading and most invasive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the most invasive 'mint' variety

I find the closer to a "wild" a variety is, usually the more vigorous the plant. Named cultivars, variegation, and lots of extra breeding for some characteristic make plants less robust in my experience. Example, those "flavored" mints have croaked for me without so much as a wimper but your unnamed, generic mints persevere no matter what I do to them.

FataMorgana

o

I've only planted spearmint so far, but I can't imagine any of the other ones being MORE invasive! LOL

o

My Chocolate Mint is extremely invasive. It has vines trailing in every direction. I really should of planted it in a better spot.

o

My chocolate mint is extremely evasive as well. Started with one plant and now have dozens within only a few months. Spearmint is extremely evasive as well.

o

:"Invasive" is a very broad term. However, considering that spearmint isn't native to NA but it's now found almost everywhere , I'd certainly call that "invasive"

o

I found a peppermint while hiking happily choking a spring in Arizona in the pine forest above the Mogollon Rim. Now that's getting around!

o

INVASIVE BY ROOTS is really invasive. I do not consider multiplying by seeds to be invasive because one can simply pull them out just like we treat weeds . But you cannot do this with mints.

So I consider all mints that I know, INVASIVE. That is why it make sense to contain them in pot(s).

o

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 9:54

I would have said Orange, before I got a chocolate mint..

The least rampant seems to be the Pear. All the others fall somewhere in between. ..but I'm just now starting to plant them in the ground in the places where I want them to go wild, so I can't say for sure. I THINK Orange may still win.

o

Chocolate mint is a definite runner up (pun intended :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here