Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrepap

growing lavender in humid climate

andrepap
13 years ago

I'm new to this forum, and want to grow lavender. I live in Baltimore, which is, of course, very humid. Any tips for beginners? Raised beds? Sandy soil?

Comments (9)

• Daisyduckworth
    13 years ago

I have no problem with it here in the hot and humid subtropics of Australia. Good drainage is of course essential, but in a humid climate I suggest you make sure that there is plenty of air circulating around the plants ie don't plant things too closely together.

• aunt-tootie
    13 years ago

Andrepap,

Summer in southwest Georgia is very, very humid (great for plumping up your wrinkles). I love lavender and when I moved to south Georgia, several plant experts told me lavender did not grow well here because of the humidity. However, I have a lavender plant growing in a 2 1/2 foot section of flower bed between my kitchen door and parking pad and it is thriving. The lavender is located on the southern side of the house and receives hot afternoon sun. I have mulched the bed with pine straw and water it occasionally. I have sandy soil so the drainage is excellent. I haven't had any problems with bugs or diseases....I can't remember the variety (perhaps, Provence), but I think I bought it at Lowe's. I had another lavender planted on the other side of the kitchen door, but Yogi (my golden retriever) kept peeing on it every time he went out the door...I fixed that problem by "planting" a small stool by that side of the door.

My advice is to plant a lavender and see how it does. You may need to try several locations to find the right spot. Good luck!

• User
    13 years ago

I live in a year-round humid, wet climate as well (though now we're in a rather serious drought). I grow mine in a raised bed on the south side of the house in full sun and have it planted along with Rosemary--both thrive. Yes, I did add a bit of coarse sand to the soil. Also, do NOT fertilize--they prefer poor soils and more alkaline soils (not acid lovers). Good luck!

• newtie
    12 years ago

extremely difficult to bring through an entire summer in a hot, humid climate. As soon as it gets wet and does not dry the crown will start to rot once the hot humid weather arrives, though it thrives fine in the cooler Spring weather.. But this works for me in the deep south. I have it in a brick planter under the eves of my house where it gets no direct rain at all. The soil is very deep. The crown of the plant is covered with sand. Mine is Provence lavender. I water it but never directly on the crown. Mine comes through the summer, blooms well the next year and produces seed.. It is on a west wall and gets hot afternoon sun but no direct sun. before that.

• Larkie Martin
    9 years ago

I am in southwest Georgia and I have tried several different varieties.. I start losing them about July.. Humidity just gets them. They do fine in the spring.. I am determined. I now have a new one in a pot..lol..This year's is "Anouk" Lavender..

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

I don't know how well they tolerate the heat, but the english types do quite nicely in my relatively damp and cold location.

FataMorgana

• Nuri Iko
    8 years ago

By sandy soil would it mean something like for cactus? Would mixing potting soil and cactus soil work?

• balloonflower
    8 years ago

Nuri--are you speaking of growing in pots? Potting soil should not be used in ground planting, and garden soil shouldn't be used in pots. When they speak of sandy soil what you want is something that drains well--mixing in sand can help, or compost, pumice, etc. Something that breaks up clay and creates air pockets. Now, in pots I do mix a succulent or bonsai mix with my potting soils for arid herbs, and it helps. You still have to watch for compaction, and eventually need to feed too.