Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peatpod

Lemon Verbena

peatpod
18 years ago

hello all. My DH decided this year to grow some lemon verbena to use on fish. I have never growen herbs to actually be used for cooking before so I need advise on how and when to pick the leaves and how to dry them. Any help and recipes would be great :o)

Thank you

Laura

Comments (7)

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Pick the leaves individually from the plant at any time before they start to wither and darken. Leaves dry quickly and easily, keeping their colour and perfume. Store in a damp-proof container.

That's what the experts say. What I actually do is pick the leaves at any time I feel like it, but for drying, I just prune off the plant (almost to the ground) when the leaves begin to dry just before winter (the don't 'wither and darken' in my climate), then I leave the branches sitting around in shade under my pergola, or standing up against the walls, then I strip of the dried leaves some time later! If you put the dried leaves through a food processor (for AGES) you'll end up with a powder - if you're keen enough. Of course, if you follow the 'best' advice, you'd just spread the individual leaves out onto some wire racks of some sort and leave them in a shady, cool, airy place, turning the leaves from time to time. Insect screening makes a good rack - but if you use ordinary cake racks, cover them with a layer of paper towelling - makes it less messy to handle once dry, and bits don't fall through.

Lavender Lemon Curd
    1/2 cup butter
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    2 lemons, juice and rind (about 1/2 cup juice)
    4 well beaten eggs
    pinch salt
    3 tablespoons fresh lavender flowers (1 tablespoon dried)
    6 lemon verbena leaves, fresh or dried

Use a double boiler, water underneath at a gentle boil. Place everything in the top pot, whisk in the eggs. Cook until thick, about 5 minutes. Sieve, then bottle. Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 1 month. For special occasions whip 1 cup heavy cream and fold into the cooled curd. Use to ice a double-layer plain cake or sponge cake, fresh fruit optional. Use on scones, shortcake, or on toast, or as a filling for tartlets.

Lemon Herb Cupcakes
    4 tablespoons lemon herbs, finely chopped, including lemon balm and lemon verbena
    1 cup milk
    250g butter, softened
    2 cups sugar
    4 eggs, separated
    3 cups self raising flour
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Put the herbs and milk into a saucepan and heat almost to boiling. Remove from heat, cover and let steep until cool. When ready to begin assembling cake, preheat oven to 180C. Grease and flour 2 dozen muffin tins, or use paper liner cups. Cream the butter. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk. Stir in the vanilla. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Carefully fold the beaten egg whites into the batter. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the batter into each muffin cup. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Remove muffins from pan and let cool on a wire rack. When completely cool, frost with Lemon-Lime Frosting.

Lemon-Lime Frosting
    1/4 cup milk
    125g butter, softened
    2 cups icing sugar
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh lemon herbs
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    juice of 1 lime
    1 teaspoon grated fresh lime rind, green part only

Cream the butter, then gradually add the powdered sugar and remaining ingredients. Beat until light and fluffy. If too thick, add a little more milk or lime juice. Add a few drops of green food coloring if desired. Spread the frosting over the tops of the cupcakes. Decorate with a whole lemon or lime scented geranium leaf, with a thin twisted half lime slice, or with a sprinkling of fresh chopped lemon balm leaves.

Lemon Verbena Cheesecake
    Crust:
    20 vanilla wafers
    1 tablespoon canola oil

Mix together and press into a 23cm springform pan

Filling:
    250g cottage cheese
    250g soy cream cheese, cut into pieces
    1 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons cornflour
    2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    pinch salt
    3 eggs, beaten
    2 tablespoons finely chopped lemon verbena leaves

Combine all ingredients. Cover, refrigerate for at least 12 hours. Just before serving, decorate with strawberries and lemon verbena leaves or lemon balm sprigs, and sprinkle lightly with sugar.

Lemon Verbena Sorbet
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 cups water
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon lemon rind, chopped
    1/4 cup lemon verbena leaves

In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, water and lemon rind. Without stirring, bring to a brisk boil for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from heat, let cool 5 minutes. Add lemon verbena leaves, and let mixture cool completely. Strain into a large mixing bowl and add lemon juice, stir well. Place bowl in freezer. Beat mixture thoroughly about once an hour until completely frozen (about 3 hours). Serve in wide champagne glasses or hollowed lemon halves. Serves 4-6.

Lemon Verbena Syrup
    1 cup lemon verbena leaves
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water

Blanch the lemon verbena leaves in boiling water briefly, then immediately plunge into ice water to stop cooking. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan, bring to a simmer, remove from heat and cool. Puree the mixture in a blender for 2 minutes. Chill overnight, then strain. Keep refrigerated. Use with ice cream, cake, desserts, or fruit.

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

You do know that you will have to bring the lemon verbena in during the winter... it's frost tender.

• toad_ca
    18 years ago

Daisyduckworth,
    Have you ever thought of writing an herb cookbook? These recipes look fantastic! Thank you.

• momherb
    18 years ago

There's also a great sorbet recipe in the most recent Martha Stewart Living magazine using lemon verbena in the simple syrup. I made it with raspberries and then with blueberries. I can't decide which I liked best. They were both fabulous!

• sharon_sd
    18 years ago

Here are a few more recipes:

Lemon Verbena Liqueur
    cup lemon verbena leaves, tightly packed
    1 five inch strip lemon zest
    4 cups vodka or brandy
    2 cups sugar

Place the lightly bruised lemon verbena leaves, lemon zest and the alcohol in a large jar with a tight fitting lid. Leave for at least 2 weeks before straining out the solids. (The infused zest can be used in baking.)

Spicy Tea
    ¼ cup dried lemon verbena ¼ cup dried chamomile ¼ cup dried orange peel
    2 tbsp dried rosemary
    1 3 inch cinnamon stick 2 tsp cinnamon chips, crushed

Mix all ingredients and store in tightly closed glass container. Use 1 tsp per cup of boiling water.

Lemon Verbena Ice Cream
    1 ½ cups whipping cream 1 ½ cups milk 2/3 cup sugar
    3 egg yolks
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 cup whole fresh lemon verbena leaves (or 2 tbsp dried leaves in a tea ball
    ¾ cup berries (optional)
    3 tsp rose water (optional)

In a heavy 2 qt saucepan or double boiler over medium low heat, stir and heat the cream, milk and sugar until the sugar dissolves. Do not boil. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks lightly. While whisking, pour 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into the bowl, then pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan and place over medium low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon (donÂt let the mixture boil, it could curdle) for about 8 minutes, until it begins to thicken and coats the back of a metal spoon.

Stir the lemon verbena leaves into the hot custard mixture.

Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 24 to 72 hours (the longer it is refrigerated the stronger it will be). Strain the mixture and add berries or rose water if desired. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturerÂs instructions.

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

Toad, I've not only thought of it, I've done it. Know any publishers? Alternatively, you could send a winning lottery ticket to pay to have it published!! I've done several other books, too.

• toad_ca
    18 years ago

Daisyduckworth,
    Not personally, but I know of a lot of sources that give advice on how to submit a query to get the process started. If you're interested, just e-mail me. Have you published the others? What are they about?
    Seriously, you seem to be an incredibly knowledgeable person, and you write well: two vital components.