Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying Basil plant

Posted by a.shau 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 3:35

help! Not sure anything can be done at this point, but somehow my basil started dying from the bottom up. Does anyone know what this is? Not sure if it's an insect or something else, but basically the leaves are drying out and have tiny black specs and are dying. I don't see any signs of spider mites (this time), but is it another bug?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying Basil plant

Here's a closeup shot of the plant.

o

IT IS MORE THAN "a" PLANT. There are about half a dozen plants in there. It is ok to have two of them together but not 6 or 7 of them like that.

I would try just pull out the 3 small ones on the RIGHT/FRONT. Then divide the rest into TWO groups. Then plant them either in separate pots. Or you have big pot , space them abot 10 inches. Plant them slightly deeper, add little bit more potting soil around the stems and gently pack it .... FERTILIZE !

Those SWEET BASILS can get quite large, if well taken care of and planted in larger pots. What you see now are just seedlings.

o

If you are referring to the browning of the base of the stems as 'dying', don't worry. That is what basil does. The stems become woodier at the bottom.

However the leaves look as if they have spider mites. Also the soil looks very dry indeed. They need to be outdoors.

You can grow basil in clumps if you live in a cooler climate and don't expect it to grow into a bush. You can treat it as a cut and come again plant like lettuce. But it does need water. The photo shows basil grown like this.

o

Planting basils in the clumps, in cool weather ???

Now our daytime temps are in high 70s/ low 80s F, my basils are still struggling. I am growing 5 different kinds. I cannot imagine growing basil in COOLER climates. Unless they have bred some different kinds. Those CLUMPY basils in 6" pots,are sold in the supermarket for kitchens. You buy them clip them, ..they die. Good bye.

o

Yes - seysonn. I never even attempt to grow Basil outdoors here. Some people try but it is often a runty failure. I just grow a crop of cut and come again in my greenhouse. I sow my own, never buy it. Just one type. At the moment the temperature is in the 80s. That is extremely unusual for us and is classed as an amber alert heat wave. Usually the temperature would be in the 60s - low 70s. Plus we get lots of overcast skies and rain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here