Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenathome

Plant Ginger In Container?

gardenathome
13 years ago

Hi, everyone.

We would like to plant some store bought ginger in pots so that they can be taken indoors when necessary. What size pot should we size for a good amount of ginger? Is it better to have wider pots or deeper pots to allow the best growth? :-)

Thank you very much!

Comments (9)

• mcfaroff
    13 years ago

I tried that once and did not succeed. I had a small pot, I think my climate is too dry. good idea, tho. gloria

• User
    13 years ago

Just a bit wider than the rhizome is fine. You don't want too shallow a pot or it'll dry too fast if you are hot now. Ginger is about the easiest thing you can grow from the grocery story. Use a well-drained sandy soil and keep it warm. I just rooted some today in the container of a large orange tree outside--eventually, when it begins to root I'll pot it up individually. Keep it growing throughout the year and you can have fresh ginger year round!-P.S. the soil should be moist--it will not root in dry soil, they prefer humid, tropical conditions with some shading from the hottest sun. Good luck!

• gardenathome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Njoasis! Thank you so much! We're looking forward to have some fresh ginger year round. :-) Will root and pot as per your advice. Thanks again!

• User
    13 years ago

Almost forgot, when you plant, don't completely bury the rhizome. This may or may not be necessary, but I only bury up to 50% of the rhizome. Sometimes, when I don't have time to plant the rhizome immediately, I'll just wrap it all in some damp paper towel, put in on the kitchen counter and plant later--it will usally have started rooting in the paper towel. Good luck!

• gardenathome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the extra tip, Njoasis! :-)

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

"... you can have fresh ginger year round!" Gardenathome - can you tell me which parts of the ginger you use? I thought that one used the rhizome, in which case you would have to dig up and destroy at least part of your plant in order to get fresh ginger. I generally use a piece about 6 inches long every couple of weeks. How much ginger do you reckon I would need to grow in order to have enough all the year round? I did try growing it once but unsuccessfully. The shoot just sat there doing nothing and the rhizome didn't root. I think it was probably too dark and too cool in my climate. But I'd like to have another go.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

I'm currently growing turmeric or ginger....I planted both but stupidly didn't label them and one made and one didn't. Yeah, I know I can sit down and ID it but I really haven't done that. ;)

Anyways, the plant is about 3 years old and spends the summers in a container outdoors. Does rather nicely when growing but doesn't get a lot bigger. I bring it in when the weather starts to cool in the fall. About December, all the leaves die and they don't resprout until the house warms up to at least 70 degrees F...maybe about June. (I keep the house mid 60's F at the warmest fall - spring.)

So while I have it growing "year-round," I don't think I would get any sort of real harvest out of it.

FataMorgana

• les_bailey
    13 years ago

On a whim, we shoved a sprouted Grocery store piece into the edge of a pot some years ago. We were zone 7a, and let that plant roast on the deck full sun summers, and brought it indoors during winter. When we moved last year, we gave that container to a friend. The hand of ginger in the soil was enormous.

I cut off of it once for eating (tasty, we just don't use that much ginger). It didn't bloom, but was probably 4 years old and extremely healthy. Normal soil no thing special, no food, no pests (and there were pests everywhere, believe me). Died back indoors every winter (we let it "rest"). Came rebounding crazy each summer. Pot was probably 14" across at the top cheapo plastic. Try it. Good luck!

• gardenathome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Flora_UK. I use store bought ginger for the first trial. :-) The whole piece. As for cutting existing ginger plants to propagate, I'm sure the other members are more experienced to advise further. :-)

Hi, everyone. Thank you again for everyone's help! :-)