Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandhill_farms

Listing Of The Various Herbs

sandhill_farms
13 years ago

I'm an avid vegetable gardener but have never grown herbs so I know very little about them. I was wondering if there is a web site that lists the herbs - what they're used for - how they're grown - etc. I'm currently fighting cancer, (I will beat it!), so I'd be particularly interested in herbs used in treating that. Also, I live in southern Nevada so our growing seasons and conditions are different than the rest of the country. Thanks for your advice...

Greg

Nevada

Comments (8)

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

More than you could ever possibly hope to read at....

Henriette's Herbal

Michael Moore - Southwest School of Botanical Medicine

FataMorgana

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the links, Fata Morgana, I appreciate it.

Greg
    Nevada

• herbalbetty
    13 years ago

Greg, you may want to check out Jonathan Treasure and Donnie Yance. They are two wonderful herbalists who specialize in treating cancer. They work with MDs and are highly regarded. Best wishes for being well.

In addition to the great links FataMorgana supplied, get some herb catalogs such as Richter's, Crimson Sage, Horizon Herbs and Thyme Garden. Just perusing those catalogs and drinking in the info there will be a great start. Then, you can do research further on herbs which interest you.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

I agree with Herbalbetty. Catalogs from great places like Richter's and Horizon Herbs are a learning experience in just reading though the catalogs.

I also find you learn alot from the plants themselves and I strongly encourage people to plant and grow their own medicinal plants. Plus I think it makes so much better medicine for *you* if you put the work and love into growing the plants yourself, harvesting them, and then using them.

Please come back and share your experiences and tell us what grows well for you in your location. We'd be happy to hear it!

FataMorgana

• Daisyduckworth
    13 years ago

No book or website will give you a complete list of the 20000-odd known herbs on the planet. But the following two sites have quite awesome lists, along with the uses etc.

As for the success rate in treating cancer, I suspect it's somewhat less than with conventional drugs or other treatments, but it's always worth a try. Google around for possibilities - there are a few. Ones that spring to mind are Violet Leaf, Astragalus, Parsley, Burdock, Pao d'Arco, the Essiac formula, Chaparral, Red Clover, Beetroot, Fennel, Garlic. I suggest you investigate these thoroughly, and remember that where there is an upside to herbs, there is usually a downside as well. You will need expert supervision when taking herbs, and of course you need to tell your doctor what you're doing.

I wish you the best!

http://www.pfaf.org/index.php

• barbe_wa
    13 years ago

You might find this an interesting website. I did.

Here is a link that might be useful: botanical.com

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all of you for the information you have provided. I'm fortunate in that the treatment facility where I get treated not only treats through conventional means but also through diet and vitamins. I'm under no false illusion that herbs can or will treat my cancer but they can't hurt. What I'm really interested in are herbs that will build my immune system and keep me strong. I'm telling you, the cancer has not been the problem but the treatment is killing me. Chemo is no fun believe me. I guess I should have been more clear in that I'm really looking for herbs that will keep the body strong and healthy and build the immune system, as well as will they grow in my environment. Thanks again for your help...

Greg
    Nevada

• Daisyduckworth
    13 years ago

While botanical.com is an interesting site, keep in mind that the book was written almost 100 years ago, so some of the information it quite outdated. You'd be better to put your trust in more modern research!