Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillis_gw

Purslane

Jillis
18 years ago

Hi to all! I am looking for either seeds or plants of purslane, which I would like to grow to feed our chickens to increase the Omega 3 Fatty Acids in their eggs. We would also like to eat it ourselves! For some reason I am having a very difficult time finding a source for this nutritious herb! Any suggestions or sources out there? TIA!

Blessings, Jillis!

Comments (22)

• shortarse_hedgewitch
    18 years ago

do you know if there might be any growing near you?

do you go on walks in the country?

if so then take along some freezer bags as purslane aparently roots well from cuttings.

have you checked ebay?

• makalu_gw
    18 years ago

I'm pretty sure that I bought purslane seeds from Richters. They seemed to germinate very slowly until it got hot and now I have a few very small plants that are trying to catch up.

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    18 years ago

I was weeding in my basil rows last night wondering how so much purslane spreads. Now I know.Some of you are perpetuating the growth of a troublesome WEED. I imagine that one of my neighbors also thinks that thistles are very tasty. Or he probably grows the seed for feeding his finches in the winter.

Why can't you just feed fish oil to your chickens? Give the rest of us who are up to our patoots in weeds a break.

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

I have been trying purslane myself... tastes like spinach! :o) We got a lot of rain out west this year and I am finding purslane more often...

• christiemoreen
    18 years ago

Seeds of Change has purslane (it's not invasive like the weedy type--I grew tons of it last year and found no survivors after the winter). We love it in salads, but usually just eat the leaves while we're doing other things in the garden. "They" say you can cook it in stirfries as well, but I find it too slimy once cooked.

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

oh thanks! I might try that next year... I rather like the taste.

• dutch_sk
    18 years ago

www.damseeds.co
    mailing
    box8400 dundas,ON
    L9H 6M1 CANADA
    E:MAIL
    info@damseeds.com
    25 gr 6.95
    100gr 19.95
    good luck

• Jillis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

//Why can't you just feed fish oil to your chickens? Give the rest of us who are up to our patoots in weeds a break.//
    Actually, I *am* also up to my whatever-you-said in weeds as well, but sadly, there is not a sprig of purslane around...
    I *was* able to order it from Seeds of Change, though! Thank you, christiemoreen and all all who responded!
    Blessings, Jillis!

• garnetmoth
    18 years ago

i cant imagine living where it isnt common. I almost always get a few in potted plants. it usually doesnt bother my beds too much.

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

Well, it isn't all that common here... too dry I guess. Though succulents are supposed to like it dry. What bmoser has forgotten is that one person's weed is another's HERB. I for example just LOVE mullein... a field weed... me and my allergies would suffer without it. But I know some gardeners who'd die before they'd actually PLANT it! Or here's one... Japanese privet... I HATE the stuff... HATE HATE HATE it... and yet, I know people who actually plant it! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :o) To each his own...

• eibren
    18 years ago

I've never been able to understand how it came to be classified as a weed. It's so low growing, it's usually easily shaded out.

I've always been rather fond of the plant; may try to rescue some to throw on my tiny rock garden.

It does turn slimy when cooked, rather like gumbo. I think one of its uses is as a soup thickener. It is also a bit sour, if I remember correctly.

• melchat
    18 years ago

Hi! I hated purslane until I found out it is edible. Now
    I just love it. It is sold in cans in Europe, and I saw
    some young plants in pots for sale in England. --- Yes, it
    is slightly tart, which I think fits in perfectly with any
    salad. It also makes good greens. I just sautee some onion in oil (bacon grease is a great addition), then add
    the coarsely chopped purslane to the skillet along with
    2-3 T. water. Cover and steam 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Salt and pepper it, and enjoy! -- Once I had a lot
    of young plants, and something told me to chop and add them to spaghetti sauce. Delicious!! -- Also great in soups.
    Enjoy it. (Moss Rose is its cousin.)
    Mel

• Jillis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the info and help! I have ordered 2 packets of seeds from Seeds of Change and a box of plants from:
    Thea Herbal Creations
    773 Public road
    Bethlehem, PA 18015
    I will also look into the Johnny's Selected Seeds. I may be able to extend my growing season for this plant by using a cold frame or a greenhouse.
    I am quite overwhelmed by the response to my simple request. Once again, thanks to all!
    Blessings, Jillis!

• Sarrah
    18 years ago

I use it to make a salsa. I chop it up with tomato, onion, toss it spinkle with lemon or lime juice and serve. Great eating.

• vickster257
    18 years ago

Well, I declare, something must be wrong with my logic and I won't beat this subject to death as a previous comment reflected how I feel about the purslane. It is spreading all over my garden and I have been trying to destroy it by rubbing it away or spraying it in my rose bed along with another weed with yellow flowers, they are driving me CRAZY! And it all started b/c it came with a small cubepak of portulacas and thought it would have flowers. It may taste very good as most of you spoke highly of it. Are there perhaps two types of purslane? It does not look unsightly at all, but I am the type of gardener who appreciates having just roses and/or perennials w/o weeds. A tall order, I guess. I'll stop rambling and sign off. Thanks for listening. If they had not been sprayed, I could have sent you a good supply of them.

• chervil2
    18 years ago

There are many varieties of purslane. Johnnys Seeds sells two types of cultivated varieties which look very different from the garden weed.

Chervil2

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

Well, I think it does look unsightly... in a planned garden... I have two gardens, so that is okay, funny thing is, it is invading my PLANNED garden... I hardly have it growing in the other. I am wondering, Vickster, if you have Scarlet pimpernel mixed up with the purslane? I have that mostly in my herbal garden...very annoying! :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: scarlet pimpernel

• melchat
    18 years ago

Yes, there is the wild purslane w/ tiny insignificant yellow flowers, and the developed hybrid type with large
    beautiful flowers. It would all be edible, I think; just
    different flowers. -- It is a portulaca brother/sister/cousin.

Love the idea of the salsa using purslane. Will have to
    try that one. -- Mel

• melchat
    18 years ago

I found this, from Henry David Thoreau:

"I learned from my two years' experience that it would cost incredibly little trouble to obtain one's necessary food, even in this latitude; that a man may use as simple a diet as the animals, and yet retain health and strength. I have made a satisfactory dinner, satisfactory on several accounts, simply off a dish of purslane (Portulaca oleracea) which I gathered in my cornfield, boiled and salted. I give the Latin on account of the savoriness of the trivial name." -- Definitely not a new food. -- Mel

• shortarse_hedgewitch
    18 years ago

did u say that you found it for sale in england melchat?

maybe yu should feed ur hens fishoil for the time being tos get ur omega 3 whiel you wait for ur purslane to get established/arive

the thing about suculents is that though they are designed fopr hot dry places, they need a lot of water every now and then, and i think some die if overwatered.

well ihope it all goes well and they don't spread too much

and about the weeds and herbs, its true.take chickweed for example. useful as a poultice, but most gardeners see it and groan. and woody nightshade, or mugwort, or hemlock, where i live they are considered weeds by most, i actively try and encourage them.

• Jillis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mel---I loved the Thoreau quote! Jillis.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH