Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My basil plant starts to die from the ground up.

Posted by allenwrench 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 08 at 9:16

My basil plant starts to die from the ground up. The stems of one section turns brown, gets dry and can snap and the top green parts start to wilt and die.

Is it from bolting and not picking the flowers off fast enough? Or something else? The rest of the plant is OK, it just happens in one section.

See brown portion in bottom of photo.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My basil plant starts to die from the ground up.

I'm not sure I can see anything wrong with your basil. The base of the stems will get brown and woody as the plants ages. This is normal. When you say the top part wilts and dies, what exactly happens? Basil leaves are often naturally puckered looking. The basil in the photo looks pretty healthy. Possibly you are overwatering and there is a bit of fungal rot creeping in. Not picking off the flowers would not make your basil die.

o

Well, the whole plant may look good. Then one small section of the plant starts to wilt bad and leaves start dropping off it.

I may be over watering it. I'm in Z6. When it is hot 88-92 how often should it be watered when it is planted in ground?

o

Thanks John.

Here is close up photo of the wilt. The rest of the plant is fine.

Photobucket

On another note. It looked like site had some photos of green plastic triangle tomato cages. What is your opinion of them? Was thinking about trying em.

Photobucket

o

I have put my basil in a spot where it is half shady, half sun. Now it has died. I watered it every 2 days at the least.
Why did it die?

o

Perhaps too much water and not enough sun.

FataMorgana

o

Also, you don't say where you live, but February is not a good time to try to grow basil in the Northern Hemisphere unless you live in a hot sunny area country.

BTW - it's not advisable to put your email on here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here