Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unexpected oregano flavor

Posted by WarrenSensei Massachusetts (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 9:38

Ok, I've got a puzzle for you all as my first post on the site!

We've been growing herbs in our front yard in three raised beds for a few years, though have been fairly lazy about it. however, I'm not asking about weed problems - we know we're bad about keeping up with that. The puzzling problem came last night when we went out to grab some of the oregano for some pasta sauce, the first use of the season.

The oregano tasted strongly of oregano like it should... and was as spicy as a habanero! Ok, not quite, but way spicier than a jalapeno, AND it left a numb feeling for several minutes that I don't normally experience even with hot peppers directly. It wasn't really pleasant (especially that numbness) and was actually far too spicy for some of the family members for us to dare putting it in the sauce for the oregano flavor.

Now, we had at one point planted a few capsicum plants in that bed as well, but had never really had much success with them. A few good peppers, sure, but only so-so in quality/size/flavor. We hardly pay any attention to them anymore.

We have a couple of theories, but not sure of the logic of them:
1) Soil contamination from the pepper plants: capsaicin being leached into the soil from the pepper plants and then being absorbed by the herbs.
2) Accidental cross-breeding: if the long-ignored plants have spawned a terrifying pepper-oregano hybrid we should burn and run away from before it rises up to kill its masters.
3) Chemical contamination: the beds are only about 6ft from the road. Far enough that the snow banks don't press into them in the odd New England winters. However, it's close enough that perhaps something could have gotten intentionally or unintentionally sprayed that far and contaminated the soil or the surfaces. There's no obvious chemical taste/smell/feel, but I suppose it's still something to consider.

Anyone have an idea as to 1) why this happened or 2) how we can undo it?

Thank you!
~Warren Huber

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unexpected oregano flavor

"We have a couple of theories, but not sure of the logic of them:
1) Soil contamination from the pepper plants: capsaicin being leached into the soil from the pepper plants and then being absorbed by the herbs.
2) Accidental cross-breeding: if the long-ignored plants have spawned a terrifying pepper-oregano hybrid we should burn and run away from before it rises up to kill its masters."

These two theories are completely illogical. Peppers don't leach capsicum and peppers and oregano cannot cross. Your third theory is doubtful as well.

Do you know exactly what type of oregano you are growing?

Rodney

o

I actually asked this same question about ten years ago. I also had an oregano that was quite spicy... as well as having a definite oregano taste. It was suggested that I had a different variety... like Greek Oregano. I never did find out what variety it was, but we enjoyed cooking with it for several years.

Enjoy your treasure.

o

I use Greek Oregano all the time. Never, have I found it to be comparable in spice to a chile pepper, least of all a habanero! Greek Oregano is often called Spicy Oregano, but you should not be experiencing it that profoundly. Are you sure you are not experiencing some kind of allergic reaction due to the potency of this variety of oregano. If it is just a question of being unfamiliar with its potency, just use less of it in you food.

o

Warren, I bet you ate a leaf :) It can be quite an experience :) It works better chopped in food.

o

There is a variety of oregano called hot & spicy oregano. It's a cultivar of Greek oregano. It is my favorite oregano. To me it tastes like a strong oregano with a hint of black pepper, but some other people do describe it as tasting like a combination of oregano and a hot pepper. Is it possible that you have a hot & spicy oregano plant?

Angie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here