Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mystery herb

Posted by rober49 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 10:13

I found some various old unlabeled seeds in my stash & planted a few of each to see what I had. anyone recognize this? it's not dill. crushed leaves do have an aromatic smell similar to woodruff.
 photo mysterydill2.jpg
 photo mysterydill.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mystery herb

Certainly looks like Dill imo. Doesn't appear to be Fennel from what I can make out of the leaves. Has anyone else smelled it? Perception of scent can be very personal and variable.

o

myself & 4 others have smelled this. smells nothing like dill. could it be some mild heirloom variety of dill. when it came up dill was my 1st thought too,

o

Just make sure it's not this one--

Your reference to it smelling like Woodruff is what makes me wonder.

Also, Dill and Fennel can fertilize each other, producing variants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poison Hemlock Identification

o

Caraway

o

It is 100% not Hemlock. Neither it nor Caraway has yellow flowers.

I have frequently seen the statement on the internet that dill and fennel can cross pollinate but have never read it in any reputable book nor seen any scientific proof. They are in different genera. Intergeneric hybrids are incredibly rare.

You might try this question on the Name that Plant Forum. Some of the people there might know if there are any native species in your area which look so dill-like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name that Plant Forum

o

Ridolfia?

o

Now that's a possibility from what I can see on Google. It's not a plant I know personally. Does it occur in the US?

o

after looking ridolfia up it does sound like a candidate. thing is I have no idea where I would have gotten the seeds unless my supplier sent the wrong seeds. he definitely sent me some tomato varieties that I did not order.

o

I don't know very much about it, either. I did grow it once to use as a cut flower, but that was quite a few years ago. I don't even remember if it had a distinct scent.

o

the scent of this plant is very subtle. woodruff is the closest scent I can compare it to but it's not exactly like woodruff. maybe i'll take a sprig to the mo. botanical garden for an i.d..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here