Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with herbs that have bolted?

Posted by rosiegirl8 NYC area (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 10:24

hi!

i have oregano and sage growing in a container together outside of my garden bed. this is their second year of growth and they were doing great. now a bunch of the stalks have bolted and flowered. there are a bunch of new shoots with nice green healthy leaves that haven't bolted.

should i just cut the bolted stalks or leave them? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with herbs that have bolted?

Oregano and sage (S. offinalis) are both fine after flowering. In fact, I only ever harvest sage after blooming and often harvest oregano while in bloom.

Of note, sage has gorgeous blue flowers and the cloud of pink/purple blooms on oregano is quite pretty as well. These herbs are at home in the flower bed as well as the herb garden. Enjoy the blooms!

FataMorgana

o

thanks! so i can just leave all the bolted and non-bolted stalks alone?

o

You can harvest as you want but I would encourage you not to clip the sage flowers. They are just too pretty. But no clipping of either is required.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here