Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leira_gw

Bay Laurel, perennial in zone 6

leira
11 years ago

I recently learned from my elderly Italian neighbor that she leaves her bay laurel in the ground all year 'round. She says it dies down every Winter, but grows back in the Spring. She pointed it out to me, and lo and behold, there it was, tiny, but sending up loads of small branches that were covered in leaves.

I was quite surprised...but it seems to be working for her. She has hers planted in a fairly sheltered area, with my shed behind it, and a permanent cold frame on one side. Maybe that helps? I'm not sure.

Has anyone else heard of treating Bay Laurel this way?

Comments (7)

• User
    11 years ago

I am one zone higher than you and have no problem over wintering them on the west side of the house (which probably gives them an additional half zone at least advantage). They are about three feet tall now. Last year, there was no die back and they were evergreen but the winter before, there was some dieback, but in the spring I just cut back whatever was dead looking and they regrew. Growth is much more vigorous in the ground as long as you can get them to overwinter. I don't protect them really at all. I realize these are trees but my vision is to eventually espaliate them. They offer the additional advantage in that deer to not touch them because they are aromatic. By the way, I never used to get bay t really perform in a container. I suspect my mistake was like most peoples'. Unlike other herbs we grow, these want to be TREES, and my containers were not large enough. Good luck!

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

Gotta love microclimates and heat sinks! I'm so jealous of a few rosemary bushes here in Denver, when I can't hardly get it to grow outside, or overwinter.

• User
    10 years ago

Rosemary is a pretty good, Zone 7 'indicator species'. It seems it goes from a sizable, almost aggressive shrub, to undoable within a short geographical range (with little in between).

Bay Laurel is about the same in hardiness. I am just thrilled these Mediterranean plants manage to survive in such a humid and rainy climate here!

Balloon, aside from overwintering issues, you have a problem w. growing rosemary?

• shadysite
    7 years ago

My brother (New York) taught me to cut a few Rosemary twigs and overwinter them in a jar of water in a bathroom or kitchen filtered light window. They send forth roots and have enough leaves to carry you through a number of winter Italian dishes, then, if your Rosemary bush dies, simply plant your rootings outside. If your Rosemary bush survives, pot up your rootings and give them away! I lose Rosemary in zone 7 about every five years.

• shp123
    7 years ago

Yup. That's what happened to my Rosemary too. Sometimes it's not the cold weather. Last year, we have pretty mild winter in coastal NJ (zone 7), but the freezing and thawing, freezing and thawing is bad for plants. I lost 2 Rosemarie's that way, but my sage, French tarragon, oregano, chives, and others are all fine. Luckily, I had a few cuttings of rosemary to start over again.

• Cat
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

No, but if that is true I would be thrilled to hear that. she's got it in a microclimate, where it's surrounded. If you can find a place with a south facing yard, where any heat from the house radiates towards the plants, and its got fencing or houses on both sides and trees or shrubs on the north its basically shut in to the heat. That would be fantastic. I'd love to grow bays - I wonder if you could plant it in a pot, and move it into the house also. Bays work fantastic in landscaping, plus they're just beautiful. thank you for sharing that. Also, this rosemary is cold hardy and grows up here zone 6:

Rosemarinus officinalis 'Alcalde Cold Hardy. They get big.