Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bay Laurel, perennial in zone 6

Posted by leira 6 MA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 10:36

I recently learned from my elderly Italian neighbor that she leaves her bay laurel in the ground all year 'round. She says it dies down every Winter, but grows back in the Spring. She pointed it out to me, and lo and behold, there it was, tiny, but sending up loads of small branches that were covered in leaves.

I was quite surprised...but it seems to be working for her. She has hers planted in a fairly sheltered area, with my shed behind it, and a permanent cold frame on one side. Maybe that helps? I'm not sure.

Has anyone else heard of treating Bay Laurel this way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bay Laurel, perennial in zone 6

I am one zone higher than you and have no problem over wintering them on the west side of the house (which probably gives them an additional half zone at least advantage). They are about three feet tall now. Last year, there was no die back and they were evergreen but the winter before, there was some dieback, but in the spring I just cut back whatever was dead looking and they regrew. Growth is much more vigorous in the ground as long as you can get them to overwinter. I don't protect them really at all. I realize these are trees but my vision is to eventually espaliate them. They offer the additional advantage in that deer to not touch them because they are aromatic. By the way, I never used to get bay t really perform in a container. I suspect my mistake was like most peoples'. Unlike other herbs we grow, these want to be TREES, and my containers were not large enough. Good luck!

o

Gotta love microclimates and heat sinks! I'm so jealous of a few rosemary bushes here in Denver, when I can't hardly get it to grow outside, or overwinter.

o

Rosemary is a pretty good, Zone 7 'indicator species'. It seems it goes from a sizable, almost aggressive shrub, to undoable within a short geographical range (with little in between).

Bay Laurel is about the same in hardiness. I am just thrilled these Mediterranean plants manage to survive in such a humid and rainy climate here!

Balloon, aside from overwintering issues, you have a problem w. growing rosemary?

o

Not really problems that would be unexpected--it's just that overwintering the hardy varieties is still tricky here at the bottom end of their range, except in the case of specific climate things like heat sinks. But with a short summer grow period, and the slow growing tendency of rosemary, it only gets so big, even when it's happy. I did get one (ARP) to overwinter, but it barely made it and didn't really do much this summer. Getting pretty good at potted rosemary--we'll see how the winter goes with that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here