Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caryltoo

Coriander

caryltoo Z7/SE PA
14 years ago

My cilantro has gone to seed. I know the seeds are coriander, but when is that ready? They're green now.

Comments (8)

• coing
    14 years ago

It won't take too long--and they will be brown and look like the coriander seeds in the spice jar.

• lali
    14 years ago

Yes mine have gone to seed too. Do I just leave the seeds on the plant to brown? What do I do with them once they brown? Can they be used as-is once they're brown?

Also, I'd like to try to replant some of these seeds back in the garden to get more cilantro plants. What should I do to plant the seeds in-ground?

thanks!
    lali

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

The seeds turn brown, then drop off the plants naturally. If thats happening, they will replant themselves for next year. The whole seeds are usually ground up and added to things like meats and sausages.

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

To harvest seeds, let the plants grow until the first set of seeds begins to turn brown and dries enough to crack when pinched. At this time, cut and hang the plants to dry over a catch-cloth. Or make a little bag out of the toe-end of some pantyhose or similar material (where the light can get in, and the moisture can get out), and tie it over the flowerhead. Tie it gently so as not to crush the stem. Ripe seeds will fall into the bag, making for easy collection.

• shermthewerm
    14 years ago

I did a search about harvesting coriander & came across this thread (I hope it's ok to revive it). I just wanted to clarify the information which Daisyduckworth provided: do you only need to wait for one cluster of the seeds to turn brown before cutting & hanging? This is what I have on my plant--one cluster that is brown, and the others are still green. Will the green ones mature & fall off for collection as well?

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

This is my first time collecting cilantro seeds and my seeds are taking forever to brown.

I then forget about them and the seeds fall to the ground.

Using a collection bag seems like a great idea.

• chervil2
    14 years ago

For many years I grow this plant in the garden until about 1/4 to 1/2 of the seed heads have turned brown. I cut the entire plant at the base and place it in a large paper shopping bag in a dry warm area in my house. A few weeks later all the seeds are brown and the stems and leaves are dry. I separate the stems, leaves, and chaff from the seeds using sieves and/or a colander.

• shermthewerm
    14 years ago

Thank you so much, chervil! So it looks like it's time for me to go harvest some coriander, as about 1/2 of the seeds are brown.